Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
13,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It's so hard to keep track of time but I think it was about five years ago that someone posted about an eBay seller in Italy who purported finding a small number of "scabbards" for the Carcano that were made of a web/cloth material. I'm sure that everyone is aware of the relatively common leather scabbard or "boot" for the cavalry carbine but until this thread appeared on Gun Boards I didn't know these web cases existed. Like a couple of other forum members I quickly placed an order and received one of the scabbards. I can't recall any further posts on this matter so I'd like to solicit your comments on the piece pictured below:

I have mentioned countless times about two habits of mine. The first is saving every photo, every article, thread, and post that I find interesting or potential useful. My second habit is being chronically disorganized because I save everything. I can't for the life of me find the PDFs that I know I saved of the original Gun Boards thread on these scabbards or the eBay listing itself. 🥺

I can't recall whether these scabbards were intended for the cavalry or the TS carbines. Or both. And whether the encapsulated Carcano was intended to be strapped to a vehicle, horse, bicycle, backpack, or somehow carried by hand. Prewar, wartime, postwar? I can't recall whether that was ever decided.

ANY and ALL comments will be appreciated. If anyone saved the original thread or the eBay listing I hope you will post them.

Thanks.

Reactions: Mike2994

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
That’s really cool! I haven’t seen anything like that since I discovered the Carcano. Or if I did, I had no idea what it was, so I didn’t even notice it. I’m glad you posted, so if something like that comes available again, I’ll know I want it.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Richard, I am happy to find that there is someone who is somewhat more disorganized than i am and who also can't always remember where he has stuff stashed... a couple of weeks ago I brought a Bulgarian Makarov to a local auction house; a couple of days later I ran across the holster and spare mag for it that I had completely forgotten about.

·
Gold Bullet member
13,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
That’s really cool! I haven’t seen anything like that since I discovered the Carcano. Or if I did, I had no idea what it was, so I didn’t even notice it. I’m glad you posted, so if something like that comes available again, I’ll know I want it.
Randy:

I’m glad you find it interesting! :)

I think we have to exercise a bit a caution because as I mentioned these scabbards came out of nowhere and disappeared just as fast. I can’t recall ever seeing them in any of the Carcano reference books or on any of the Carcano sites or forums so it’s possible that these scabbards or cases have been inaccurately ascribed to Italy in general and the Carcano specifically.

There is reason however to suspect that the identification is accurate because the scabbard does appear similar to other pieces of Italian equipment. If I’m not mistaken a similar shade of a canvas web material was used for holsters and other items during the RSI period of ‘43 to ‘45.

The leather components of the scabbard also appear to be the same distinctive green leather commonly used by the Italian military. Of course, Italy was not the only country to use green leather, Argentina being another, but it looks Italian to me.

In short, I think that what little we “know” is accurate but in the absence of confirmation it remains merely speculation. Hopefully by the end of this thread we’ll know the full and accurate story.

·
Gold Bullet member
13,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Richard, I am happy to find that there is someone who is somewhat more disorganized than i am and who also can't always remember where he has stuff stashed... a couple of weeks ago I brought a Bulgarian Makarov to a local auction house; a couple of days later I ran across the holster and spare mag for it that I had completely forgotten about.
Ralph:

I’m pleased that I can make you feel better! :giggle:

·
Moderator / Silver Bullet member
8,086 Posts
These do not fit the folding bayonet Moschetti models, they do however fit the different T.S. models.
I had gotten this one off eBay long ago thinking it would fit the folding bayonet models, it did not so I had Swinging Sniper try a T.S.model in it and it perfectly.

Attachments

·
Gold Bullet member
13,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
These do not fit the folding bayonet Moschetti models, they do however fit the different T.S. models.
I had gotten this one off eBay long ago thinking it would fit the folding bayonet models, it did not so I had Swinging Sniper try a T.S.model in it and it perfectly.
Patrick:

Thanks very much for the information and photo! 👍

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.