Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This picture shows a couple of recently acquired Italian bayonets. The top one is Brescia mfg. and the lower is Ordnance Roma. The OR bayo is a perfect fit on my M91 and the Brescia fits on my M38. I think that the M38 bayo is missing a metal tip on the leather scabbard and is also missing the belt attachment. I finally got around to looking at the M38 closely today and noticed that the grips are not wood at all but seem to be a very hard and dense rubber. On the scabbard is stamped SA REJNA 1935. Are these non wood grips common and is the SA REJNA in any way Finnish related ?

·
Gold Bullet member
842 Posts
The bayonet with composition grips is for the Vetterli rifle. Yours has been shortened during WW I to go with the Vetterli's that were converted to 6.5 mm.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Marysdad. I didn't know that it had been shortened, just that it fits my M38. The barrel loop is a bit large but it locks on perfectly. The leather scabbard then would also be a mismatch to the bayo and more in keeping with a later setup. A very interesting gathering of parts to be sure. Now, finding out about the nature of and changes to the bayo, I don't feel bad about only giving $25 for it.

·
Gold Bullet member
842 Posts
The dead giveaway to a shortened blade is the fuller (groove) running right through the point.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My colleague from whom I purchased this bayo was fascinated with the additional info about the WWl shortening and the Vetterli connection. I believe he is the one who did the sharpening and also mentioned that as a throwing knife it is exceptionally well balanced. Now it's a part of my rifle collection.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts