Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have my Dads 6.5 Rifle he brought home from WW11.
I guess it is an Italian made rifle for the Japanese.

Today my Mom gave me the paper from his ship authorizing him to have it.

What kind of value does the rifle have and does the paper increase value much?
Thanks
So Sorry Garf

·
Registered
293 Posts
I have my Dads 6.5 Rifle he brought home from WW11.
I guess it is an Italian made rifle for the Japs.
If you can take the time and make the effort to spell out "Italian", please take the same time and make the same effort to spell out "Japanese".

·
Registered
477 Posts
Since no one who has posted a reply provided any usable assistance whatsoever, I will give my opinion.

The Italian made Type I's on the auction sites seem to bring $200-300 on average, depending a lot on condition and originality. The capture paper would definitely add some value, but it's hard to say how much as it varies from collector to collector. Some don't see it as anything to pay extra for and some will pay double to have the capture paper.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Does the paper mention the rifles serial number? Papers are nice but I like em' a lot more when a serial number is listed. Jon

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Monkeyboy,
From aboard the USS Cowanoc AT100 25 Nov 1945
From Commanding officer
Dad's name, rank etc
Japnese Rifle - Authorization for Possession of
You are hereby authorized to have in your possession one Japanese
Souvenier{sic} Rifle No. H 7xxx

Commanders signature and ships seal

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Very cool! I've never seen a TI with a paper. To me and others, papers are far more interesting with the serial number. Thank you for sharing. Jon

·
Registered
244 Posts
You most likely have a value of around $600 with the serial number on the bring-back paper. With the history of your fathers exploits during the war, it would make a great family heirloom that should be handed down to the next generations, so they do not forget the sacrifices their long lost relatives made. Basically I am saying, that we all hope you keep your fathers rifle in the family, and do not sell it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Guys
I have no intention of selling it, seems I can't sell guns anyway I just aquire more and more.Ha

I just recently found out it was of Italian manufacture and not Japanese, I don't think my Father knew that either, he just thought it was a 6.5 Arisaka.

Thanks Again

1 - 8 of 8 Posts