Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Gold Bullet Member/Moderator/Administrator/
27,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Went to the Alabama Gun Collectors show today in Birmingham. News at 11:00. I was fortunate to close the loop on the last leg of the triumpharat e of No. 4 .22 trainers.

Pictures at 11:00.

·
27,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good for you. I have never seen any of the military trainers in person. How rare are the No4's? Are they 22 long rifle?
They are out there, and rare in a variety of sizes. The Long Branch No. 7 was made in roundcabout numbers of 20,000, in three major batches. BSA made the No. 7 as well, but not nearly as many.

The No. 8 Mk 1 was made in goodly numbers as well, 20k or so.

The No. 9, made by Parker Hale for the British Navy only had 3,000 made.

As in No 7, 8 & 9?

Getting all 3 is certainly a "triumph"; well done.

All in .22 LR.
I glommed on to a Crated CNo.7 Mk1 a few years ago. Just this past month landed a No. 8 Mk 1 which will be delivered Monday.

Today I found a No. 9 in mint condition, pristine! I had resigned myself to the ten year plan on this one. As in ten years to find one ! This is the only one I have ever seen for sale, and I get around to some shows.
And as the kicker, a fellow came up to me and offered a No.8 to me. I'm going to deal on that Monday.

Sorry for the cryptic post, the blackberry isn't conducive to long conversations. I'll post pictures soon.

STOKED!!!

·
2,751 Posts
Congrats mate.... one small issue.... IT AIN"T REAL 'TILL WE SEE THE PICS!

Watching this space keenly. The later trainers are almost unheard of here!

·
27,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is the no8 that you are waiting on the one that was o GB about a week or so ago? A no 7 with crate just sold for over $3k. Congratulations, can't wait to see them all!
cheers

I saw that CNo.7 price last week. That had to have been a high water mark. Oh my.

I got mine from the Trader here on GunBoards a few years back. It is missing the cleaning rods and jags, but otherwise is complete.

i was slugging it out on that no. 7 but lost in the end. i already have a no.8 so i didn't bother bidding on either of the ones on gun broker in the last 3 weeks. can't wait to see those pics!
If you're willing to go that much, you'll find one and soon. They are fairly common, as far as uncommon rifles go.

We had a pretty good rain last night, and the sky is partly cloudy, so I'm going to try to shoot some good pics in the backyard.

·
27,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Finally, got some pictures to post. It's been giving me fits tonight.

Even has the box the target sight came in.

It was trying to spit rain on me, so I had to hurry.

Attachments

·
27,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Okay now I'm jealous. It looks brand new, you must have crazy good luck. How does the mag work on these? Do they have a small mag inside of the regular one?
The mag is empty, the spring and follower are removed from the mag, an d the shell casings are dropped into it.

·
Premium Member
2,689 Posts
Middle band is off of an Indian No 4 rifle. The holes were drilled to allow for a grenade launching sight. Stock is not set up for grenade sights two notches had to be cut on either side of the band to allow for the sheet metal sight tabs.

Refernce: Edwards "Indian Enfield book", bands are avaliable from Springfield Sporters.

·
2,751 Posts
Totally gobsmacked, mate. Looks like it saw it's first daylight yesterday! Congrats!

Wonder how it came about to get that band then, if it's Indian. Anyone know if these were assembled using reclaimed parts? Pardon my ignorance here, looking at the repair on the butt... Maybe the band is original to the build too?

Has the sight got the fitting and use instructions in the box? I have the same sight, brand new unused, but without anything else. It doesn't seem to fit properly on my No8 sight, so wondering if there was a trick to it?

·
27,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The magazine is an old one, xxxxx'ed out serial number. It looks like they used what they had.
The Suncorite is mint, and dripping off of this. I don't think it's been fired.

Totally gobsmacked, mate. Looks like it saw it's first daylight yesterday! Congrats!

Wonder how it came about to get that band then, if it's Indian. Anyone know if these were assembled using reclaimed parts? Pardon my ignorance here, looking at the repair on the butt... Maybe the band is original to the build too?

Has the sight got the fitting and use instructions in the box? I have the same sight, brand new unused, but without anything else. It doesn't seem to fit properly on my No8 sight, so wondering if there was a trick to it?

·
27,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Son, I didn't look inside the box but I will tonight. If it has instructions I'll send them to you. (It felt empty).
This rifle has the "look" of being right.

·
Premium Member
2,689 Posts
Here is a link to a discussion on the Indian army specific grenade launcher sight that utilized the drilled bands. This modification is specific to India. There is no known trainer sight that would use those holes or required such a modification.

http://www.milsurps.com/showthread.php?t=21835

As the Parker-Hale No 9 was a Navy rifle, it is unlikely the band was original to the rifle, unless it went to India at some point. The Indian Navy did use the No 4, so perhaps there is a connection there.

·
27,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Being made in 1959, unlikely that upper bands were being made then. As this was a commercial venture, it's not so hard to imagine they used what they had available. The forestock is numbered to the rifle as is the bolt.

I think was can agree had this one gone to India It wouldn't likely be in this condition.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts