Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
1,196 Posts
It was a long winter. A month ago I didn't want to go outside because the snow was still flying. Today it is hot and I don't want to go outside because of the mosquitos.

Over the winter I worked on several projects. Amongst them were some Enfield carbines. I was chatting to a collector at the range this last weekend and I told him that I collect Lee Enfields and was working on restoring a carbine. He said that he had a carbine too, in fact in his collection, he had an example of all of the models. He had an SMLE, a No.4 and a jungle carbine. Yup, that's all of them.

So just to show off, I post pics of my carbines. I have more of these puppies but in different stages of rebuild. I just bought a wood duplicator to make wood sets, so we will see wot I produce next winter. Just producing sawdust and scrapwood for now. Anybody want a long lee enfield fore arm made from a pine 2x4?

So just for giggles, spot quizz! Can you identify each of these examples of carbine? Clue... two of them are not actually Lee Enfields.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
4,612 Posts
What he^ said. Although...truth be told, I would've missed the trials carbine...knew it was a Metford though.

One way or the other...very nice work!

·
Registered
487 Posts
A very nice collection Englishman, well worth showing off. I like the old carbines myself but still looking for a NZ carbine. Great pics, thanks for posting.

·
Registered
6,633 Posts
Really nice collection. I wouldn't have probably missed the trials carbine...I did miss it. Totally thoroughly and completely and am not afraid to admit it. :)

The pictures are small. Do you have them in a bigger resolution?
Click on the pic then click on "view original" and you'll get a screen full! :)

1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
5th Batt nailed it!

G43? oh ya! I will be willing to tackle any stock, providing that I have something to copy. The pattern could be an original stock, or a mock up of one made from wood and bondo. If you have a sportered stock, you is half way there.

Not ready to attack a hundred dollar chunk of walnut just yet. I need to practice and find my technique. Making practice stocks out of pine and fir for now. I have some skid wood that might be oak, or mahogany or some I have no idea what foreign hardwood to screw up in the learning curve. Making stocks like the Khyber Pass specials are easy, making stocks that fit well with tight inletting not so much. Ask me again in the fall if I can do it.

The 1893 trails carbine is my latest. Been chasing it for years. I got it from Newfoundland. I did some repairs and cleaned it some, but the wood is original and unsanded. Original blue, pristine bore, tight headspace, very slick and a joy to shoot. It is serial number 5.

The 1895 Metford cav carbine is rack number 284 of the 500 the Canadian Govt purchased in 1895. It is truly untouched and uncleaned. I have only wiped it down with a damp cloth and light touch of linseed. The urge to pull it from the wood set and scrub off the crud is almost unbearable. But if I did that, it would not be an untouched time capsule anymore. Even the screw slots are perfect and the dirt filling the slots suggest that they have never been turned in years.

The 1896 Enfield cav carbine is likely, but not proven, Canadian issue. Nice old patina on the metal. The M&D marked wood is original but needed a few repairs. I had to remove a bogus RNWMP marking on the butt. So it is now a sanitised fake.

1901 LEC NZ carbine is rack number 1215/1903. I will be making a handguard for this one. Didn't need much, just a bolt. Wood had varnish finish which had actually done a good job of preserving the wood. It had previously been lightly sanded, so the stock cartouche is feint. A very solid gun and one of my favourites.

The 1900 receivered RIC is a work in progress. Just some cosmetic work left to do. The top handguard is hand made from an smle handguard a long time ago, it will be replaced. I still have to redo the metal finish. The action is built up on a receiver. Different finishes on the different parts.

As restorations go, these were relatively easy. The wood was uncut. They just need to be refreshed and reassembled with the correct parts. My other projects are not quite as straight forward as the wood has been modified. In the past, I have spliced forearm tips back on and even hand made complete stocks and it is a pain in the ???? So the duplicator is to bring the resto up a notch and simply make new wood that fits well. I can always make it look old if I need to.
So these five will provide the patterns to make my masters to make as many copies as I need. Metalwork then becomes the problem. Oh ya, the LEC is wearing a repop nose cap from Twin Kauris, I have the gun`s original but just wanted to see how the repop fit and looked, and it looks not bad.

Thanks for the compliments. I enjoyed putting them together, it took a few years. Since, I have discovered that there are variations of each, so the collection is not yet complete.................. It never is.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts