Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No doubt this has been asked many times, but I haven't been able to find the answer anywhere myself.

Were Type 38s and Type 99s issued in different areas to ease ammo supply etc?

Were the "Last Ditch" Type 99s issued to troops in the Pacific Islands/Phillipines/CBI or were they kept in Japan waiting for the invasion?

·
Silver Bullet member
15,654 Posts
Since no significant quantity of T99s was available until 1941, up till then 6.5mm was the norm; so they were "everywhere".
New or re-formed units would have been issued similar arms; individual replacements appear to have taken their weapons with them.

I believe we have seen picts of mixed rifle units posted here.

Yes, LD rifles made it to the Islands. LD features began to appear in first half 1944, and would have still been flying out the door to equip units or replace arms.

I believe some of the guys have LD rifles with provenance from the islands.

The Japanese didn't have enough rifle capacity to "save" them for a future use, IMO. They recalled school rifles and issued them.
I have a T 30 documented bringback from the Philippines; it must have been recalled for use also, but still made the trip to the PI.

All above is JMHO, the real historians will chime in with additional info.

·
Silver Bullet member
15,654 Posts
My best guess is early 1941 for the long T99 and April 1941 for the short T99, for issue. Use-later in 1941.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I would assume Japanese Army units attached to the Kwantung army in China had first dibs as that's where the shooting war was in 1941. Also when these units rotated to the Pacific they also brought their 99's with them.

·
Silver Bullet member
15,654 Posts
Since the troops in China were totally equiped with the T 38 and 6.5 mm cartridge, and the fact that T 38s were made well into the
'40s; I would conclude that it is highly likely than only 6.5mm weapons were sent to China to simplify logistics, JMHO. The Japanese would have had plenty of T 38s at that point in time.

And yes, the US first encountered the T 99 on Guadalcanal, or at least that is where it was first reported. They could have easily encountered the T 99 in the Philippines, but then no word would have come back for some years; or the Allies could have seen them in Singapore, or the Dutch Indies, or elsewhere. They were used in the invasions at Attu and Kiska.

I have one picture, included in the new T 99 book, of a T 99 long in French Indochina, soon to be known as Viet Nam. I have no idea of the date of use.

·
Registered
46 Posts
That's true. of course, I highly doubt the few who escaped from the Philippines knew or cared what the difference between a T-38 and a T-99 rifle.

I think it was said that examples of equipment captured on Guadalcanal in 1942 were shipped back to the US for study, so more than likely that was probably the reason it wasn't reported till then.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts