Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Silver Bullet member
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just acquired a 1947 in very good shape. It is import marked. All metal has matching numbers including the clip. First off, is I cant find the production figures for 1947. Is there a yearly production table? Second, the bottom wood appears to have been replaced, forearm and butt stock. The forearm underneath is marked DP ( Drill Purpose?). I read some where that Springfield Sporters sold this wood. What is the story behind this? So India did not install this DP wood? What type of wood was this? Wood is bigger than the brass butt plate. This is not a DP rifle. It came with a cloth sling marked J&A.H.1944 arrow right. Tan colored. Also had a plastic oiler and pull through cord, Also received 100rds of 1950 FN ammo. I feel I go a great deal for $200. The metal has caked black grease all over. The stock had been varnished. Used a chemical stripper and removed. In process of hand rubbing BLO. This will make a fine addition to my Enfield collection. Thanks for any help. Sorry for the long post. Will post pictures when I have finished cleaning her up. Ed

·
Registered
12,490 Posts
The Drill Purpose wood was almost certainly NOT put on the rifle in India, and the DP does indicate that the stick came off a drill rifle.

Original NOS No.1 Mk III Enfield wood has been pretty hard to come by for quite some time, and Springfield Sporters had long been into the business of buying old Enfield drill rifles (many of them out of India) and stripping them for parts.

When you have no other source of wood to put an old sporterized rifle back together, or replace a broken piece of furniture, the drill rifle stocks are perfectly serviceable for this.

As I said, they have been doing this for a long time.

About 30 years ago I bought a full set of matching No.1 Mk.III wood (and fittings) from Springfield Sporters, and it was all drill rifle parts. I put it on a Sht. IV .22 rifle so I could shoot it (the rifle had a shortened, cut down 'school stock' (think exteremely sporterized stock with just a sliver of wood for a forend and you will be close) on it when I bought it, and it just didn't fit me right.

I have another Sht.IV that I shoot now, and that old training rifle is now back in its original configuration.

·
Silver Bullet member
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Drill Purpose wood was almost certainly NOT put on the rifle in India, and the DP does indicate that the stick came off a drill rifle.

Original NOS No.1 Mk III Enfield wood has been pretty hard to come by for quite some time, and Springfield Sporters had long been into the business of buying old Enfield drill rifles (many of them out of India) and stripping them for parts.

When you have no other source of wood to put an old sporterized rifle back together, or replace a broken piece of furniture, the drill rifle stocks are perfectly serviceable for this.

As I said, they have been doing this for a long time.

About 30 years ago I bought a full set of matching No.1 Mk.III wood (and fittings) from Springfield Sporters, and it was all drill rifle parts. I put it on a Sht. IV .22 rifle so I could shoot it (the rifle had a shortened, buttstock cut down 'school stock' (think exteremely sporterized stock with just a sliver for a forend and you will be close) on it when I bought it, and it just didn't fit me right. (I have another Sht.IV that I shoot now, and that old training rifle is now back in its original configuration.)
Thank you Sir for the information. Have any ideas of production figures for 1947?

·
Registered
3,288 Posts
The SFS’s full DP stock sets that we started purchasing around 2011-12 were listed as (Beech,Birch or Walnut).Back in the good ole days 😬😉 when good Lithy sporters could be had off GB for around $125.00 etc.

·
Registered
12,490 Posts
The wood that I put on that Sht.IV was definitely Indian wood.
It was that almost black-colored wood that you see on a lot of Ishapores (definitely not beech, birch, walnut, or coachwood), and made for a really good looking rifle.

I still have the wood if I ever run across a project rifle that catches my eye.

·
Silver Bullet member
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The SFS’s full DP stock sets that we started purchasing around 2011-12 were listed as (Beech,Birch or Walnut).Back in the good ole days 😬😉 when good Lithy sporters could be had off GB for around $125.00 etc.
Digger I would say mine would have to be walnut. The grain is long with a reddish tint and some light green. Overall color is medium to medium dark. The upper wood appears to be original to the rifle. I will be posting pictures. Any ideas on the sling? Thanks

·
Registered
7,471 Posts
Sling sounds repro (J&AH 1944 are common repro markings), but pics to verify.

When you say all the metal is numbers matching, does that include the nosecap?

Are you sure it's caked black grease, rather than paint? India did use a crappy thick black paint that was generally applied sloppily.

·
Silver Bullet member
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Digger here are some pictures of the wood which I refinished yesterday. Wood came with a varnish finish. I chemically stripped it and applied two hand coats of BLO. Please let me know what you think and type of wood. Thanks. Ed

·
Silver Bullet member
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Disaster Dog ,attached is a picture of the sling. Yes the nose cap matches. The serial number on this rifle is 65028 J .when i cleaned the metal it was blued. The black grease was caked on in some spots. Sort of built up. That was mostly on the exposed metal. The barrel is 98% blued and had just a few built up grease spots. Kind of reminds me of old dry cosmoline.

The receiver shows some wear but definitely blued. Still would like to get some help on production figures for 1947. Thanks. Ed

·
Registered
3,288 Posts
Ok just for reference on the SFS’s DP placement mark stamping we purchased (about 9 sets total from Mr Russell) they where located on the top hand guard in the white highlighted area & most but not all where DP marked on the forward metal tip of the upper guard that inserts underneath the the front band.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,471 Posts
Yep, repro sling. But on the plus side, I think they make them in India!

I'm not sure about production numbers for 1947.

·
Silver Bullet member
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yep, repro sling. But on the plus side, I think they make them in India!

I'm not sure about production numbers for 1947.
Thanks Gents. Any idea on type of wood?

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
Thank you Sir for the information. Have any ideas of production figures for 1947?
The Indians have always been very very secretive about their arms production - we don't even know if they are still manufacturing LE No1 Mk3 (we have seen examples into the late 1980's but if no later production has been sold out of the country we wouldn't know).

There is speculation / guesstimates in various publications but no one really knows.

As an indication of their secretiveness, it is only a couple of years ago that we (Peter Laidler) managed to find out the headspace 'numbers' for the Ishapore 2A/2A1 version of the No1 Mk3, via the Indian-UK Army liasion officer.

We do know (from a publication by the retired Ishapore Proof Master) that in 1950 RFI changed the specification of the steel for the No1 Mk3 which turned out to be weaker and resulted in the rifles failing proof test (warping / twisting actions and jamming bolts), 1000's were scrapped.
As a result, rather than lose face and change back to the British specified steel, they changed the proof testing requirements until the 'new steel' passed.

Your rifle (being 1947 and before the 1949 Independence of India) will be manufactured in the 'correct' steel during the oversight of British inspectors.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the bantam butt stock yet.
Not uncommon on Indian rifles - there is a lot of malnutrition in India and they often don't grow into 'Western sized' people.

Reactions: SDigger

·
Registered
5,281 Posts
Uncommon enough for me that with all the Ishy rifles which have been through my hands (about two dozen) and those I looked at, I have yet to have seen one in person. All have been normal with only one S sized and it wasn't marked as such.
Cripes I don't think I could fire one without getting a thumb in my nose. ;)
I have two youth sized rifles. An Anschutz Woodchucker and Stevens 1915. I really have to scrunch up with those, but being 22lr the recoil isn't a problem.

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
Uncommon enough for me that with all the Ishy rifles which have been through my hands (about two dozen) and those I looked at, I have yet to have seen one in person. All have been normal with only one S sized and it wasn't marked as such.
Cripes I don't think I could fire one without getting a thumb in my nose. ;)
I have two youth sized rifles. An Anschutz Woodchucker and Stevens 1915. I really have to scrunch up with those, but being 22lr the recoil isn't a problem.
Are the ones you have seen straight from the importer, or, have they already been thru a 'shooters' hands who may have changed them out.
I have seen a few where a butt-pad has been used to lengthen them rather than 'mess with the wood'.

I'm not even completely comfortable with N length, and was very lucky to stumble on a large box of complete sets of matching wood (for the No4 Mk1) with L length butts.(Think I'm maybe closer to my tree-swinging ancestors than many)

Sold the last few sets to a guy in Canada a few weeks ago,

Attachments

Reactions: SDigger

·
Registered
5,281 Posts
Got a few in trade but no mention of any stock swapping. Several were GF rifles. A couple wire wraps and the others bracketed. Butts looked righteous enough that it never crossed my mind to ask. The rest were still gooped up and a few of those had cracked/broken parts which were cracked (repaired) or broken parts missing (replaced). A coupled of butts had loose heel/toe patches but I remedied those too.
The days of crappy Ishys looked down upon with distain.

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
Got a few in trade but no mention of any stock swapping. Several were GF rifles. A couple wire wraps and the others bracketed. Butts looked righteous enough that it never crossed my mind to ask. The rest were still gooped up and a few of those had cracked/broken parts which were cracked (repaired) or broken parts missing (replaced). A coupled of butts had loose heel/toe patches but I remedied those too.
The days of crappy Ishys looked down upon with distain.
Interesting.
I suppose with the GFs it didn';t matter what butt they had as they were not fired from the shoulder but were 'grounded'.

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts