Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back to original, I mean...I just picked it up this weekend at a shop...all matching (what's there, that is) 1910 Danzig Kar98 that's got a very good bore. Didn't cost me much, but I'd like to know if the stock, bands, etc are available. If not, I'll probably either sell it as is, or slap it in a k98 stock and then sell it.

·
Registered
393 Posts
stocks pop up on ebay from time to time,do a search "mauser stocks" and select email notification

ifthe bolt,trig guard,floor plate and all of that matchs id say its absolutly worth the money for a correct stock,also you have to consider how much you have vested in it already

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
more info...

I'll add a couple more details...it's in great shape...no pitting, has NOT been reblued. Front and rear sights, all bolt parts, trigger guard and mag plate all match the rcvr/bbl. The stock is a really pretty Bishop, but I think it's for an m1917 or p14. It will drop into a k98 stock, correct???

·
Gold Bullet member
11,320 Posts
Mike, yes it will fit a K98 stock... like the one on my Gew98 rebarrelled with a K98 barrel....

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Mike ; a military 98k stock is not compatible. You have a Kar98a not a 98k. The barrel contour on the Kar98a is a smooth taper - not stepped. Nor will a 98k handguard work. You must find another kar98a stock w/handguard and bands or another sporter stock. Being the 98a is a small ring action if you do find a chopped 98k stock you will need to glass bed it as the receiver will not fit snug.

PS ; If the handguard retaining lip on the receiver has been removed ( ground/cut off ) it's a shooter.

·
Gold Bullet member
11,320 Posts
Whoa, hold the phone! You mean a 98a is a small ring action? I thought these were just modified Gew98's also, and thus large-ring. Hmmm, learn something new everyday.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's a shooter, then

Well, the handguard retainer has been ground off, so it's a shooter. Is it worth parting out??

·
Gold Bullet member
11,320 Posts
Mike are you sure? It might be milled into the front of the receiver ring.

But even if it's milled off, the piece is worth restoring, IMHO. If someone has a correct stock set with a poor or mismatch action, it would be very worth putting this all-original, great condition and matching action in the stock.

One could find a way to keep the handguard on still. Perhaps a thin brass plate on the inside curve of the handguard that hooks under two short studs insert into the stock, etc.

Finding an all matching kar98 anything in great shape and unmolested is worth a restoration. They're not exactly making them anymore.

·
Gold Bullet member
7,131 Posts
The rear of the handguard slots into a "shroud" on the front of the receiver.
If it's been milled off,you are pretty much S.O.L. restoration wise.
Perhaps your greatest difficulty will be locating a good stock and handguard set.
When they DO pop up on e-pay, be prepaired to bid against others looking for them and be prepaired to pay dearly for good looking unmolested lumber.
Barrel bands do sell from time to time and are not too bad price wise.

·
Gold Bullet member
11,320 Posts
Charles, do you mean it's a separate piece, like on some other Mausers? Or is it milled into the receiver ring, like an ATF Turk?

·
Gold Bullet member
7,131 Posts
Here is one picture, I think you can see it, but I will try to re-size my close-up view so it will fit the forum.
I can't reduce it, it has too many do-dads to squeeze in here.
Here is another distance shot..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts