Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is on a 1940 Romanian Contract VZ-24 I bought the other week. I bought the rifle assuming it was fake and paid what I thought was a fair price for it. I figured the K98 forum would know more. It just does not look right to me. Back to my question, real or fake? Thanks!

·
Registered
523 Posts
It looks a little different from other stamps I've seen. The bird's head looks bigger. I say it's fake. Looks more like a pigeon head.

Get Bob in Ohio's CD and compare it to the pics.

·
Registered
9,193 Posts
Let's assume for a second that it doesn't look like a pigeon and it isn't a Numerich stamp. What would it be then? It isn't an inspection stamp, no WaA or Kru etc. It isn't a branch of service mark, no H, L, or M.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info!

I think I may drop something that may hit the stock right where the stamp is. Maybe tomorrow the stock will have just a dent. Who knows. I just didn't want to mess up something original.

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
i bet the seller is thinking a pidgeon got suckered. no offense bud.

·
Diamond Bullet Member
8,286 Posts
Fake!
Notice how this has been cut a little deeper into the wood than what you would see on most of todays rifles that are 50+ in age.

Also the person who did this left of the left tip of the wing to make you think that it was maybe worn down with age.

Also they put a scratch through it. I guess to not get your attention %100 on the fake bird or make you think it was real for some other reason.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Let's assume for a second that it doesn't look like a pigeon and it isn't a Numerich stamp. What would it be then? It isn't an inspection stamp, no WaA or Kru etc. It isn't a branch of service mark, no H, L, or M.
I overlooked the obvious. Thanks HB for pointing out the bigger picture.

·
Gold Bullet member
592 Posts
I've never tried the ironing method, but think it would work. I've always taped up the area around it and held it over a tea kettle. After you have raised it, you will have to sand it out & repeat the two steps until it's gone. When you are done you will have a light spot in the wood that looks different from the rest of the wood. You can stain the spot or darken it with fire (cigarette lighter). I ususally do both

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all of the ideas.

I bought it because a 1940 Romanian VZ-24 is a legitimate Axis rifle to go with my K98's. With the other dings on the stock, one more may be less obivious than steaming and sanding. Whoever when to the trouble of stamping the stock didn't make any extra money off of it. I paid normal VZ-24 prices. Thanks again!

·
Registered
523 Posts
What CD are you talking about?
Bob in OH has put together a CD with good examples of K98 markings. It also has a lot of other info too. It's an excellent reference for detecting fakes. I can't find the link to his website at the moment, but I think he will see this post and provide the link.

Regards

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
I sell images on a CD of many rifles (K98s), with data sheets.
About 1500 pics with great detail. Guns are original, most are matched and correct.

my link is...

http://bobinohio.com/

You can always just google "bob in ohio" too

Here's an example of my photography from a byf44
(wood samples only).

Most guns have 25-50 pics per gun and a data sheet.

·
Registered
23 Posts
OK, This a fake too?

I have a Romanian coneract VZ24 with a RR ser. It is a non import and has an eagle too but looks different. After reading this thread i looked and there it was, I didn't notice till than.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts