Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Well, for sure the "certigficate" Makes a phoney/fake claim!
The SS VT didn't exist at the time of Stalingrad. It had long before been redesignated Waffen-SS, about 2 yrs before in fact.
It does appear to be ground dug, but would have had to be from fighting in france in 1940. What is on the 2. line before the V.T., can't make it out.
One problem I see is that it does not have a blood type stamped on it. I'm inclined to think it may be original, but??? If so it is a nice item as SS-VT stuff is hard to find.
Sarge

·
Registered
850 Posts
Why could'nt the ID tag be original? Just because the unit was re-named does'nt mean that all the original members had to get re-issued new ID tags does it? Maybe the soldier was sentimental and kept his old tags...

D.D.

·
Gold Bullet member
2,146 Posts
If there were as many SS men as there are SS dog tags (helmets, daggers, bayonets, swords, rifles, pistols, tunics etc.) for sale today they couldn't possibly have lost the war because they would have outnumbered the Red Army.

Len

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Reread my post - I didn't say it might not be original - I said it didn't come from Stalingrad! That Ekm was never issued because there is no blood type on it. Thus it was not something kept and later lost at Stalingrad and NO they didn't keep and continue using their dog tags when unit/organizational designations were changed.
Much like the US Army - if you were a draftee and reenlisted your designater went from US to RA and you got new dog tags. You either sent the old ones home or threw them away, you did not continue to wear them OR carry them in your pocket.
Sarge

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.