Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon all
I have the opportunity to buy this rifle from a friend but he told me he THINKS that this rifle is not all original and was a “parts build”

I am unfamiliar with British rifles so I wanted to come here and get your thoughts before I took the plunge

I’ve always wanted one of these!Not pictured is the bore - its super clean!

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
see this old post on SRF:
From what I see its on the level, maybe the stock worked over? Any stampings or a serial number on the wood. That one close up looks like an ok finish to me. I'd need a close up of the wood finish.
This small section looks good as for finish Hand Arm Wood Everyday carry Font

Any age dings and dents on the stock? What does the strap look like?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks to everyone for the quick replies!
As far as why he things it’s not, according to him, is because that’s what he was told (sigh)

I thought he had other actionable / good intel haha.

now - Monday I will be back at the shop where The rifle is and will look at the sights and for the cuts as requires above

as far as serial numbers on the stock,there were none that I saw. I looked it over pretty good. I was actually the one that took these pictures above. So I messed with it a bunch today

I’m thinking, based on the above replies, that Im safe to bring this into the fold and consider it to be legit.

I will still follow up Monday with the above requested pictures.

thanks all

·
Registered
570 Posts
Rear sight comparison photos. No.4 sight elevation to 1300 yards (both the screw adjustable milled sight and the stamped slide adjustable types) while the No.5 rear sight (middle) is screw adjustable to 800 yards. Note the difference in screw diameter and pitch. The ballistics of .303 rounds fired through the No.4 and No.5 rifles are different.

The battle sight on the left hand one has been milled off, so possibly from a No.4 Mk.1 (T) rifle.

Different types of No.4 rear sights. Mk I milled; Mk II 300/600 yard battle sight; Mk III and Mk IV stamped.

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
K
When the parts supply was running out for No5s in Malaya the Brits used No4 Actions and furniture to send out the same number of rifles that came in to repaired.
Sounds like you may have walked away from a some what rare service rifle.

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
OK, but; with a truck load of Mk4 converted to Jungle Carbine configuration here in the USA, it has to be assumed any with the wrong receiver are recent (aka fake) No5. If, you dont know about the barrel, thats cool. I sure not going to purchase a No4 Jungle Carbine on a "Malaysia maybe" I dont understand. That's fine too. I was just asking, making conversation as much as anything. I may do some homework on this.

It is at the point these days, where I buy a mil-surp and post photos in the appropriate forum then; I am more surprised to find I have a legit, unmolested gun, than all the times I got burned.

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
fourbore
I have a BSA No5 that was in unused new condition with all the right stamps, cuts etc with a No4 butt. The only thing wrong I could find was the front sight was way out one side which indicated the barrel was nor indexed correctly but the extractor slot was right so the front sight block is wrong. Is it a No5 or not. There was a number of rifles in Aussie for sale without Butts in unused condition as well as ones with No4 Butts. There are well used No5s here as well with No4 actions, some with No4 Butts. Is the No5 with the so called Ishy screw a real No5 with a in service modification or a Bubba job. You can never say never with the Brits and their Enfields and what they did to them in their service life. Returning a rifle to what you think is factory correct can destroy a far more valuable variant.
There are books lots of books, online data banks etc get the knowledge learn the way the Brits thought and worked it will help you understand the disease called Enfielditis.

·
Registered
13,508 Posts
The "No.4" No.5s are probably a bit like the hooked P1907s............ you give out too many details & fakes will start coming out of the woodwork. But the keywords are there, if one reads between the lines IMHO.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.