Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Silver Bullet member
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm interested in buying this gun for around $1500. AC 44. The bolt and slide? don't match receiver. The stock matches receiver. I don't like the looks of the back part of the bolt. Is this safe to shoot? Also has the stock been sanded? Do you think the number 633 is original to the stock? He said he installed the new gas kit from alpfieter but hasn't shot it yet.
thanks

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Looks like a nice G43 and the numbers on the stock are authentic. The stock looks lightly sanded but still very nice. The 1st pic is of the bolt housing which concerns you. I have 2 or 3 G43's with the same crack on the lower rear of the stamped bolt housing just like yours and I feel they are safe to shoot and likely a result of manufactering. You can however send it to Rob Applegate and he will weld it up and make it somewhat stronger. I like the light brown durofol handguard... is it a "P" block AC44? The price is quite good.

·
Registered
845 Posts
I agree...decent gun for $1500. The "crack" at the rear of the bolt housing, is not a crack at all, but a seam, as the part is a stamping...completely correct, no need for any welding..

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
An "f" block would be very cool since they are relatively uncommon and a durofol may be correct. I was just guessing that it was an early "p" block with durofol handguard. Nearly all AC G43's had laminated wood handguards.

·
Registered
845 Posts
It's hard to tell from just the one PIC, but it looks like the handguard may be a postwar East German (VOPO) resin handguard. These will not have any marking inside. They are kind of rare, and sought after by collectors of East German re-works...someone out there might give you an even trade for a laminated guard.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Good looking gun.

I have a milled housing on my shooter which I figure, right or wrong, is stronger than the stamped.

Good looking gun. Hard to tell from the pics but I would say lightly sanded, the shine in the pics makes me fear a low gloss poly, but I sure hope not.

Going from my memory of reading HG about 5 times, I thought there was no real evidence AC ever used duroful handgaurds and those thought to be original are also questionable as being "upgraded" immediately post war.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts