Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Silver Bullet member
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I watched this auction out of interest and even bid at the $300 level. The selling price blew my mind as I watched two bidders fight it out to where the seller must have been dancing with the stars

I have a good collection of South African Enfields and never paid more than $400. Most of mine were purchased long ago at for less than $200.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=170801354

Has the market gone mad????

·
Registered
636 Posts
"Tough to find...". I don't think so. Maybe I am missing something very special about this rifle but I've owned a couple of SA rifles in much finer external condition - gave one away to a friend who needed a No.4 and never looked back. Bidding wars seem to often take a (in my opinion) common item to an astounding level of competition. Wonder how many times someone is fatigued and finds some "fixation" in the late of the night or wee hours of the morning...? ed

·
Gold Bullet member
2,624 Posts
Re-numbered upon FTR. Only matching as of the FTR. Probably forced matched. Decent condition, not outstanding. Somebody could have gotten two very nice No. 4's for that price.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
7,597 Posts
There are other auctions by this seller that some think are odd. See here. http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?173836-Another-fool-gets-taken I am on the fence as I have been in auctions where stupid stuff seems to happen with both high and low final bids. If you look at the bid history for this Enfield you can see that the two bidders both have a fairly long track record, making it highly unlikely that either is a shill.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
3,767 Posts
But the odd things is that it happens with this particular sellers auctions almost all the time. Not the sellers fault, but I'm still kind of curious why. Maybe I should let him manage my 401k ???????

·
Platinum Bullet Member
4,612 Posts
This is why folks sell their guns at auction rather than taking them down and consigning them at the local shop. Part of the "appeal" of the information age.

The T-99 auction being so hotly discussed on the Japanese board and linked to here is a good illustration of the proverbial 800 lb gorilla... knowlege should be the first purchase made before stepping out into the wild world of collecting anything. Obviously the seller posted enough info that the more experienced collector could spot the stock issue...or they wouldn't be discussing it.

There's not much for auction fever other than bidding your max and walking away until the smoke clears. Call it more money than brains, or whatever else you will, but there are plenty of sane (relatively) folks out there who'll pay much more than an object's worth to fill a hole in the collection.

My one experience with this seller was outstanding in all respects. I probably ought to try and blacken his reputation a bit so the next time he pulls something nice out of the woodwork, I'll be able to get ahold of it for a few less carats worth of apology to the wife.

...maybe I'll just sell a couple No.4s instead. :thumbsup:

·
Platinum Bullet Member
7,597 Posts
I probably ought to try and blacken his reputation a bit so the next time he pulls something nice out of the woodwork, I'll be able to get ahold of it for a few less carats worth of apology to the wife.

...maybe I'll just sell a couple No.4s instead. :thumbsup:
ROFLMAO!!!:laugh::laugh::laugh: Consider the bit in bold stolen, or at the very least, heaviliy borrowed.:thumbsup:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.