Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings and salutations. Dont let my user handle fool you, Im here to ask a legit question. Im active on several other gun boards but this one sees the most traffic and I need some experienced eyes on this one.

I just purchased a G43 and got it home today for my initial inspection. It seems that the bolt carrier has been welded and repaired in the past. Its tough to tell what is original rough casting and what is a repair, but I know this isnt normal.

My intention is to install a shooters kit, dial it in and make this an occasional use range gun. Nothing crazy, maybe a few dozen rounds a year of Romy surplus ammo. I know the current bolt isnt optimal, but is it safe to shoot with a shooters kit and occasional use? Im aware the heat treating has been compromised, but Im not looking to fire thousands of rounds, just a few now and then to just appreciate the gun. These guns were pretty poorly made to begin with so I dont know if this bolt is actually any worse off than any other used bolt carrier.

·
Registered
257 Posts
It doesnt look terrible. I think you should be OK. I would invest in another carrier just in case though.

·
Registered
639 Posts
"These guns were pretty poorly made to begin with so I dont know if this bolt is actually any worse off than any other used bolt carrier. "

In general, with the exception of bcd models, the G43 were actually pretty well made given the rationing of certain alloys at that part of the war. In order to overcome the lack of critical alloys, the receivers and other parts were forged, just like crankshafts and rear axle components in modern cars and trucks. The gas operated cycling system was not restricted, allowing for reliable yet violent cycling even under under adverse conditions, sometimes breaking the bolt carrier and bending the receiver rear end. I have not found any mention of this happening during the war, most known damages happened in private hands after the war and in most cases by using substandard Turkish or Egyptian surplus ammo. This kind of ammo's burn rate is so bad, I don't even shoot it in bolt actions anymore unless I feel a masochistic desire for a black and blue shoulder.

The kind of repair done to your bolt carrier is a typical fix. Apfeltor does this kind of work and as far as I know, it is deemed OK for shooting if the welded area is heat treated correctly. If the repair job on your particular rifle has been done professionally remains to be seen. Maybe contact Apfeltor with your bolt carrier S/N and ask if they welded it up.

In order to preclude future damage, install a shooter kit (Apfeltor or eBay) and shim the recoil rod. You'll find instructional videos on YouTube (unless the leftist anti-2A Google bastards took them down).

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
GunKraut: Thanks for your response. I did reach out to Apfeltor, his response was similar to yours. Install a gas system and keep an eye out for cracks. He said it was not his welding work so theres always the question of how deep the welds are, but the general consensus is install a kit and shoot it. He did say that if it cracks, sent it too him, so hes at least confident the bolt isnt totally trashed.

I have an ebay shooters kit on the way. What are you using to shim the system? (Im familiar with the process, I watched a few videos very briefly but havnt resourced parts for the shim yet)

·
Registered
20 Posts
If you look at the underside you can see a line where the weld is a different level from the parent metal. Keep an eye on this area in particular as cracks like to form at angles. You may also want to polish some of the deeper grind marks as they can also crack.

Worst case like others said, it can be re-repaired. I'd shoot it and enjoy it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I would be inclined to agree with the others. It does look a bit rough, but usable. Just keep an eye on it and you should be fine.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Its good to know all you guys think it shootable. As we all know, even a 'shooter grade' G43 isnt cheap anymore.
I installed the shooters kit and shimmed the op-rod, all I can do now is go shoot it and hope for the best. (And definitely wear eye protection. 😀)

·
Registered
282 Posts
Totally unsafe to shoot. If the foot breaks off when firing, the lugs will unlock and the bolt will recoil, dont break your face over a shitty part.........

·
Registered
803 Posts
Totally unsafe to shoot. If the foot breaks off when firing, the lugs will unlock and the bolt will recoil, dont break your face over a shitty part.........
I'm inclined to agree but I dont think it would be very likely. The round would already be downrange by the time the op rod hits the carrier, and hypothetically cracks it. The bolt would probably be stuck closed with the little shoe broke off in there. Now, if the shoe broke off and the shooter wasn't aware, then the gun could fire out of battery since that is what locks in to the firing pin carrier and stops it from going all the way forward until the lugs are extended. However I think you would notice the carrier no longer following the bolt. I would take apfeltors advice 100% if it were me, or maybe send it in for inspection if he thinks it's worth it.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
2,982 Posts
It only has to fail once.

If you're lucky, the carrier will stay attached to the gun when it fails. If you're unlucky, it'll fly off and bury itself in your forehead.

I wouldn't trust any absentee endorsement of its safety by anyone on this forum (or any other). What do they know of its integrity based only on those photos? Except that it's a very sloppy job. Even externally it looks burned and pitted, and very little effort was made to clean up the joint. Does anyone seriously imagine that this workman heat-treated it afterward?

Either buy a replacement carrier or hang the gun on the wall.

M

1 - 10 of 10 Posts