Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
.... I know its Finnish Captured.

People who look at the same online auctions as I do may recognise this sling that showed on my doorstep today.

Now, to me it looks like an example of the so called 'Naval Infantry' sling for the SVT40. It has had a 'double roller buckle' fitted at the dog collar end that had a dog collar looped through it. My opinion is that the roller buckle has been added for some reason...

Is this what I think it is or is it some other type of known strap for an equipment bag or similar?

There's some undecipherable marking in ink...

A side by side comparison with a Finnish Captured M91/30 sling...

I'd be keen to get others opinion of this. I'm not really 100% up on my Soviet Web Equipment to think that it is anything other than a rifle sling.

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
I have one just like it that a member here told me was for a Suomi. Mine however came with a long dog collar for the rear, and a short one for the front. I was told by another member that it could be used as a 'field expedient" sling for an M28 Ski Trooper. I tried it, and it works perfectly until I can find a correct one. Liberty Tree had a few in stock recently. That's where I got mine.

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
No idea, but I did compare the buckles on mine to those on an identified Finn piece of field equipment - that I recently bought from a seller in Finland. The patinas are of course different, but the quality of the buckles, rollers, and stitching look very similar.

·
Moderator/Gold Bullet member
8,912 Posts
Agree with Ratnik. Nothing Naval about it though.

Here is a pic on them in use. Second man on the left and one on the far right.
Holy moly, that's a lot of captured gear...
Pat

·
Administrator
19,288 Posts
Well, the "naval style SVT-40 sling" is made up "collector term" from the beginning. So no reason to find logic from it in the end. :)

I have slate blue ones-

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
I have slate blue ones-
Yep. And those are indeed naval slings I would think.

I was just pointing out that the shape/pattern of the sling does not define a "naval sling" i.e. there is no "naval infantry SVT-40 stocks" and no "naval infantry" SVT-40 slings" that could be defined through certain stock model or certain sling model. Those are just "collector terms", not reality.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Tarkoitin kaksoisrullan solki, Toinen malli on, jos ylimääräinen rintareppu solki on sisäpuolella ja yhdistetty Mosin kaulapanta svt.D-rengas En ole varma, jos talvisodan SVT-38-malli.

·
Registered
13,432 Posts
Tarkoitin kaksoisrullan solki, Toinen malli on, jos ylimääräinen rintareppu solki on sisäpuolella ja yhdistetty Mosin kaulapanta svt.D-rengas En ole varma, jos talvisodan SVT-38-malli.
Translation for those of you that can't follow Finnish (I can't, either, but I CAN follow on Google Translate)

"I meant the double roller buckle, the second model is where an extra sling buckle on the inside and connected to Mosin collar SVT.D-ring I'm not sure if the Winter War SVT-38 model."

1 - 17 of 17 Posts