Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet Member
4,612 Posts
I'm no expert by any means, but...

There's a lot that looks good about it, and some not so good. That looks like the Afghan gov't crest, but the lettering appears crude, and the proofs a bit iffy. Without books handy, I don't remember much about the actual Afghani pieces. Maybe somebody will chime in that's closer to their reference material.

I'd want to see some LSA inspectors' marks on it before I thought about spending anywhere near that kind of money on it, though.

I'm afraid I'll have to give it a firm "maybe, maybe not" at this point. If it's a fake, it's by far the best I've seen.

·
Copper Bullet member
9,432 Posts
I don't like the "Crown" stamp, and is "ER" correct for the time period of the rifle? Elizabeth became queen in 1952-ish.
Keep in mind I'm no expert.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
4,612 Posts
'E' for Edward...Edward VII. Victoria's son.

·
Registered
14,761 Posts
'E' for Edward...Edward VII. Victoria's son.
1901-1911. If that's a copy, the guy who made it must have worked in the U.K.
Note even the crest is properly stamped, Looks good to me and the letters and numbers are properly aligned.
Most Afghan copies have individualy stamped letters that are uneven and spelling is not one of their strong points.

·
Copper Bullet member
9,432 Posts
Ahh, forgot about him.

·
Administrator
9,440 Posts
?Afghani official No1 MkI???

definitely an original LSA rifle, in complete and original condition (Factory inspection marks, broad arrows, etc, on parts ( most LSA and BSA Foreign contracts used up British inspected parts, hence the broad arrow);

Only the Afghan mark may be spurious...of course, it may have been applied in Afghanistan, so would look a bit "iffy".

Until I had a very close and personal inpection of the item (inside especially), I would say it is a legitimate LSA product.
BTW, ER with the King's Crown (diff. from Queen's Crown) is Edwardus rex, 1902-1911.

regards, Doc AV
AV Ballistics.

·
Silver Bullet member
15,639 Posts
Fit and finish, or lack thereof, look too good to be Afgan/Pakistani made.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
4,612 Posts
It's a nice example...no doubt about it. But I'm still having trouble with the fact that there's an 'E' where there should be an 'X'. There's much to like about that rifle, but I'd want a much more thorough inspection before I plunked down that kind of cabbage.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Not too outrageous for a Mk. I, I think. The marks scare me, but if it is legit how many do you think there are floating around with those markings? Still, I agree with the above posters: just a bit to much for the risk.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Never seen with markings quite like this. That receiver is the only thing questionable in my opinion. I remember in the spring there was a much more crude Shtle mk1 with afghan sun crests that sold for over $500 which most on here agreed it was kyber. this gun looks far too well made and those stock pieces aren't seen often.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
4,612 Posts
Generally speaking, they're copying old rifles...that includes the volley sights.

As near as I can tell, this particular set of volley sights is real, but one of the most common features of Khyber Pass knock offs is crudely made and numbered volley sights.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
4,612 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet Member
4,612 Posts
Not me. Personally, I'd want to disassemble and go over that thing with a microscope before I'd pay that sort of cash for it.

If somebody here bought it, I hope they'll post a full photo study...ought to be educational.

·
Copper Bullet member
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well I may regret it, but I decided to buy it via haggle. I figure it is either legit, in which case it is a good deal, or it is such a nicely done copy that it makes a good collectible in its own right. Once I have it in hand I will be able to examine it closely. I will probably post what I find regarding markings etc. and then we can decide what it is.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I was thinking about bidding just for those rare complete parts. Even if it wasn't all legit, finding even those pieces as reproductions would cost a bundle so for how often you see a complete Shtle mk1 for sale its not a bad investment.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts