Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet Member
7,623 Posts
How did that stock survive in such good shape? I cannot see obvious signs that it was sanded, but you have to wonder on a 97 year-old gun.

·
Premium Member
14,333 Posts
The lack of numbers would have kept me away.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Can't tell completely by the pictures given. It appears it may be an all original, all Westinghouse gun in tip top condition. A few similar ones, but with all matching serial numbers in 5 places, have brought near twice that price. So, you get guys who suspect a gun like this one is as close to perfection as they may ever get the chance to own. Most guys who think that are very likely correct, too.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
How did that stock survive in such good shape? I cannot see obvious signs that it was sanded, but you have to wonder on a 97 year-old gun.
I own a NEW that is practically unissued. It's all original and matching with the probably the original cosmoline still remaining. About the only thing that happened to it after it left the factory is that it was stamped with U.S. proof marks all over the receiver, barrel, and stock. It even has a partial flaming bomb on the bolt. These were bought up by the U.S. government to bail out NEW and Remington after the Russian government defaulted on their contract. Many were issued, but many were not. I'm just lucky I have one that wasn't sporterized or abused with corrosive ammo between it's manufacture and coming into my possession. Examples that nice do exist.

The auction rifle looks a bit suspicious to me though. I can't seem to see the "English Contract" cartouche, and the position of the serial number on the butt plate is new to me. It is a very early one according to it's serial number, so maybe the early ones had some of those differences. Almost all of the really nice, original condition rifles I've seen or heard of were pretty late in manufacture. That rifle is nice though.

·
Premium Member
14,333 Posts
I don't doubt that its in nice condition. However, it's missing some of the things that should really be there to put that price up with the nicest. All matching numbers would have to be a requirement. This simply didn't have that, otherwise, the price would have been atleast double.

·
Gold Bullet Member
10,013 Posts
The font on the curved logo is different - I think the rifle is 100% legit - Just another Mosin Nagant odd ball =+) My wonderful condition(some folks cringe when I say "mint") N.E.W. does not have a numbered bolt knob nor a numbered magazine - I suspect it was never numbered. The rifle may well be a parts gun assembled from parts left over from production - That might explain why the stock does not have an English Contract cartouche?

Pahtu.

·
Admin Emeritus
19,073 Posts
I don't feel it was out of line.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
I can't seem to see the "English Contract" cartouche, and the position of the serial number on the butt plate is new to me. ..
It looks totally authentic to me; if it was a test rifle, or assembled later from parts, etc., it wouldn't have a contract roundel. The stock is definitely a virtually new condition Westinghouse stock; it appears unsanded to me, and shows the original finish, I think with maybe some old furniture wax residue on the wood. Also looks like it was displayed in some kind of support at the forearm, as the wood has some slight scarring there; and it obviously was displayed with a bayonet, but that is missing from this gun, which is way too bad...

Many of these rifles exist without full serial numbers or with none at all. Sales samples? Out of spec Russian rejects? Prototypes? Lunch Box specials? We'll never know.

·
Gold Bullet member
1,540 Posts
I can certainly appreciate this Mosin for what it is, but based on this price, I am very pleased that unissued milsurps just do not speak to me. All the ones that I have owned, that had perfect blueing and untouched stocks have been sold off in favor of ones with battle scarred stocks and worn metal finishes.

Guess I just like my girls with plenty of experience.

T

·
Gold Bullet member
1,540 Posts
And how many pristine Russian M91 rifles have you sold off because you prefer ugly ones??;)

None. I have yet to own a pristine Mosin. Ugly Mosin? Unless its a bubba, I have yet to see one!

T

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.