Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Your english is just fine. You might also have said," is this genuine k98 wood?" Also, wood for a long gun is usually called a "stock". The main piece is often called the "butt stock" and the small top piece the " hand guard".

·
Registered
705 Posts
Also, this is a WW2 'laminated' stock, made rather like plywood, by gluing thin sheets of wood together, making a strong and warp-resistant stock without having to rely on high-grade wood, which is in short supply in wartime. Please note that, with some other metal pieces, the recoil block (the steel piece which passes through the stock behind the receiver's recoil lug) is missing - it must be replaced before assembling the stock to a barreled action for shooting.

PRD1 - mhb - MIke

·
Registered
65 Posts
It is not a early k98k stock, as its laminate. The first few years of production were all walnut. The so called "K" stamp in the wood, aswell as the rest of the external stampings in the wood were all applied by yugoslavia during its refurbishment process.

·
Registered
840 Posts
It is not a early k98k stock, as its laminate. The first few years of production were all walnut. The so called "K" stamp in the wood, aswell as the rest of the external stampings in the wood were all applied by yugoslavia during its refurbishment process.
I had a 1937 Borsigwalde that had both a laminated stock and the 'K' stamp...Bodes

·
Registered
65 Posts
I had a 1937 Borsigwalde that had both a laminated stock and the 'K' stamp...Bodes
Its my understanding that Mauser borsigwalde never used laminate stocks in 1937. Mauser oberndorf created the laminate k98k stock late in 1937 and im not sure any other maker had access to them until 1938. So your stock may have also been a post war yugo refurb...

·
Registered
840 Posts
Its my understanding that Mauser borsigwalde never used laminate stocks in 1937. Mauser oberndorf created the laminate k98k stock late in 1937 and im not sure any other maker had access to them until 1938. So your stock may have also been a post war yugo refurb...
Your information is wrong than, as the stock was on an original veteran bring back K98k....Bodes

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
The early laminated stocks are seen with a "K" or a "P" at the wrist. Latest research indicates the letters are for the type of resin (glue) used in the stock. The two resin type names escape me at the moment, but they started with those letters K and P. The laminated stocks are generally first seen in 1937 production and fairly quickly became the most common stock type. It would seem it was important to test the types of resin for delamination over a period of time, thus the letters could be used as an indicator for both types long term effectiveness. Eventually, the resin types are not stamped on latter stocks after the first few years.

·
Registered
840 Posts
The early laminated stocks are seen with a "K" or a "P" at the wrist. Latest research indicates the letters are for the type of resin (glue) used in the stock. The two resin type names escape me at the moment, but they started with those letters K and P. The laminated stocks are generally first seen in 1937 production and fairly quickly became the most common stock type. It would seem it was important to test the types of resin for delamination over a period of time, thus the letters could be used as an indicator for both types long term effectiveness. Eventually, the resin types are not stamped on latter stocks after the first few years.
P likely is for Phenolic (resin)....Bodes

·
Registered
311 Posts
Welcome to Gunboards Colletwear . . .

This stock is a WW2 German made K98k stock made from laminated beechwood, with the red colored glue.

Given by the number stamp font on the rear left side, I am not certain that this is Yugoslavian issued, but may likely be.

You flag indicates a location with the Russian Federation.

It is unfortunate the practice of removing metal parts from rifle stocks is as common in Europe as in the USA.

Thank you for showing this.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts