Gunboards Forums banner

Is this a Polish PU scope?

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  DudleyDR 
#1 ·
My buddy just bought a fake PU sniper, and the guy he bought it from says the scope is Polish. It kind of looks like it could be but I'm not sure.
Cheers,
DB

Here's the scope, mounts and rings:

#2 ·
Yes it is a Polish issued PU scope-

#3 ·
Yeah, it's a Polish reworked and issued WW2 Soviet scope, originally made around early 1943. The Soviets supplied a number of PU sniper rifles, along with quantities of spare scopes, to the Poles toward the end of WW2 and in the post-war era up to the late 1940's, maybe very early 1950's.

Many of these scopes were never issued and remained in Polish military inventory in excellent to mint original WW2 condition and configuration, others like this one were used on Polish issued WW2 Soviet sniper rifles or Polish made PU snipers, and were often refurbed to one degree or another. Some had only a Polish WZR refurb marking added, others had the original Soviet serial number removed and replaced with a Soviet one, some had their original Soviet markings completely removed. Polish made and Polish refurbed Soviet scopes can be found with blued finishes, as well as painted black or a rather unique Polish green, and sometimes also had the range markings increased from 1300 to 2000.

For some reason this scope looks vaguely familiar to me, like someone has asked me about it before or sent me a photo of it.

Is the rifle it is on a fake/replica, or a restored "ex"-sniper? What is the year and arsenal of the rifle, and do you have any photos of the barrel shank markings, especially the left side, just above the woodline?

#4 ·
General thought is scopes with markings removed were used on weapons other then PU rifles such as 23mm AA guns and small artillery pieces as a auxillary aiming device for ground direct fire.

#6 ·
The pic is too small for a close wiew, but it seems one of the early soviet PU scope used on HMG or AA guns.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.