Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Silver Bullet member
2,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Didn't notice this until the discussion came up the other day that their were quite a few districts. I thought their was only one or two. Anyway this is on my byf 44 mauser and it doesn't look like a Russian capture X, it's more of a Roman Numeral X. If it is which district is it from and what does it mean?
Thanks,
BARQS19

View attachment 137445

·
Banned
9,193 Posts
What Pisgah said Barqs. District markings are smaller as well.

·
Silver Bullet member
2,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok thanks, too bad :( The Russian X's I always see look like the scratched it on there real quick. What other variations are there besides these two?
BARQS19

·
Banned
2,870 Posts
These letter stamped soviet "X"'s as oposed to the crossed chisel mark "X"'s are another reason why I tend to go with the theory that the "X" is an abreviation for a russian word (forget how to spell it now) beginning with "X" that represents the word "Captured". This makes far more sense than the "X" representing a crossed rifle mark.
Below is a soviet captured P38 with a similar "X"

·
Silver Bullet member
2,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've seen this same X on FN 1922 pistols before. All the FN22 pistols I've seen with this marking did not have a import stamp on them. Do you think they were early imported Russian Captures??
BARQS19

·
Banned
10,252 Posts
Bill's word he is looking for is хваченный (hvachennyj if translitterated), and this word more or less means "Sufficed".

The word Captured translates to захваченный (zahvachennyj).

Interesting theory. Perhaps...

·
Banned
2,870 Posts
Thanks Vulch! I have it someplace in my rather odd filing system, but did not have the time to do the archeology to find it. I am told by Jan Baclar a noted European p38 collector that this is the accepted meaning of the "X" markings for collectors in Europe.

I see it this way...a letter stamp X could easily be seen to represent the abbreviation for the word хваченный, as also could be a chisel mark X also easily represent the abreviation.

But in the case of crossed rifles....a chisel mark might indicate a crude representation of crossed rifles, but the letter stamp X is not easily seen as representing crossed rifles.

I have always looked on the crossed rifles mark as more of a commercial marking like on the contract lugers, rather than an indication of capture.

At this pont it is all just theories...who knows the X may mean something totally different than any of the above.

·
Banned
9,193 Posts
Bill, thanks for that P.38 pic.

·
Registered
3 Posts
This type of "footed X" came up last year. I went thru all my pics back then and found several of the "footed X". Going from memory, they did not go with a particular factory and they were all on RCs. So the general concensus was that it is just a nicer X than normal.

Now if somebody could come up with a non-RC with it, then that might change things up. But for now, just a Eastern European worker with pride in his/her X.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.