Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Legit or "aged" repro?
Seller is claiming it is original but the scabbard looks like it is new, zero dirt and such, stitching is snow white.

The double stamp is not the big issue, it's how spaced out the text is running the whole way across?
The . in the SKY looks misplaced?

·
Registered
73 Posts
I'm no expert by any means, but I'll answer the best I can while comparing your pictures and the info you included with my M39 bayonet and scabbard.

The scabbard itself sounds like a telltale reproduction scabbard.

As you mentioned, the Veljekset Kulmalan Konepaja stamp does look a bit spaced out, and the text itself looks a little larger and just "thicker" than that on my bayonet, and even larger and "thicker" on the Sk.Y stamp. All three letters of the Sk.Y stamp look slightly different than the letters on my bayonet, and also the letters of Vic's bayonet pictured on this page: http://www.mosinnagant.net/finland/Finn-bayonets.asp Compared to both your pictured bayonet and the bayonet pictured on Vic's page, notice the differences of the thickness of the S, the k being slightly smaller in Vic's pictured bayonet than yours, and the Y having a wider fork in Vic's picture. And again as you mentioned, the "." in Sk.Y does look misplaced. It might just be hard to see in your pic but the =S= stamp seems to be lacking the = marks. The "rivets" (not sure what they're called) on the grip of your pictured bayonet look like they're set deeper than in mine, and the edges look round compared to the more jagged look that both mine and Vic's pictured bayonet.

I'd say it's a repro. I did a lot of homework before I got mine, so when I came across it for a bargain price I knew exactly what I was looking for in picking out the differences between real and repro M39 bayonets.

And sorry for the wall of text.

·
Diamond Member
7,320 Posts
Looks like a reproduction. There are two types of these that I have seen. One is the blued version like the one shown and the other type can be seen on Empire's web site. IIRC the blued version has a misspelled word on it. Denny

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looks like a reproduction. There are two types of these that I have seen. One is the blued version like the one shown and the other type can be seen on Empire's web site. IIRC the blued version has a misspelled word on it. Denny
Yeah, I asked the seller for some pics, took him about 4 days, seems he was dragging his feet trying to get me to bite without seeing a good pic and finally he sends me these out of focus shots with bad lighting.
Think I'll pass.

·
Gold Bullet member
2,295 Posts
That bayo is fake, period. The first one I ever bought looked exactly like it, and the seller claimed it was legit but was only asking $75 so I bought it, knowing it was a lie.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

·
Site Contributor
1,313 Posts
Unfortunately it is clearly a reproduction. Originals are not blued, but in white, with some later being chromed to be used as gift items by Finnish military. Grip panels also look wrong - originals have grip made from birch, so the grain in wood looks different. When it comes to markings originals have only O.Y. VELJEKSET KULMALA A.B. in a single line in left side of blade and the text in right side of blade is Sk.Y ("k" is not a capital letter). The Civil Guard approval marking in handguard is also also missing the "fir branches" part of marking - in other words it should more like =S= than just S.

Jarkko

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I couldn't remember if it was the K that was different on the fakes or the placement of the period.

In one of his other pictures the blade looks in the white, probably just the lighting.

It's part of a package, and even being fake it wouldn't be a deal breaker considering the price.
Had the seller not made the claim it was original I would have maybe taken it, not now though.

Thanks guys.

·
Silver Bullet Member
3,658 Posts
definitely fake, I had one similar I got with an M39 for "free" thinking I hit the jackpot until I researched and found it be a fake, even the fakes are bringing some money, I decided I didn't need it, put it up on ebay as a fake and I think I got almost $200 for it. Of course probably someone wanting to buy it to dupe someone else.

·
Silver Bullet Member
3,658 Posts
what they do with the ones that have the blade blued is take it with a flash or lighting angle where it doesn't look blued. I have seen that before. These are still worth something, maybe $100-150 until you get a real one. You can always get your money back out of it.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Looks like a nice reproduction. It's OK as long as the price is right for a representative piece. What I don't like is when a seller misrepresents an item as original and tries to fetch top dollar. It is what it is. Even if a seller states that he is unsure or he doesn't know if it is original or not than it should be priced accordingly. IMO any seller who is reputable will have done his home work and know exactly what he has to sale.

·
Premium Member
1,302 Posts
Two days ago a saw a legit one on the website of a Finnish dealer for 200 Euros - tip was a little bit damaged but otherwise good, used condition...

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have a friend in Europe looking for one for me, he is way more knowledgeable than I am since I just got into the Finn stuff this year really, I'll wait for him to find me one.

Once again, the knowledge here is worth it's weight in gold, Thanks all!

·
Diamond Bullet Member
9,096 Posts
The better repros were made in India by some sort of special contract a few years back, deliberately blued to show they were fake. I have one of those, bought for about $90 years back, if I recall.
I could never bring myself to pay more for the bayonet than the rifle itself!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts