Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Diamond Bullet Member
8,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sadly this is not matching and in fair surplus condition.. but hey it's a lebel, I finally got one!

Here's the barrel markings, is this a 1st year production?

·
Moderator / Silver Bullet member
8,080 Posts
In no way could MA P (Manufacture d'Armes de Paris) been a first year, ,they did not exist till after WWI started.
You can clearly see the 7 is stamped differently and crudely. I bet this was an Afghanistan bring-back.

Patrick

·
Diamond Bullet Member
8,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That would make sense. So sadly not something I should keep as a decent example..

Thanks for your help.

·
Moderator / Silver Bullet member
8,080 Posts
These were changed to pre-1898 date so that our service men/ women could bring them back from Afghanistan as antiques.
I got one from there I was able to ship home due to this, I was very picky on the one I purchased, I knew what to look for on it, I made sure it was functional and not missing parts. The trader I got it from allowed me to take it apart to see it.

Patrick

Reactions: Trpg23

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
What 1886lebel said;
The Customs workers who inspected firearms that local traders sold at the Bazaars to the Troops only knew the firearm had to have a date on it prior to 1898. So, to appease the Customs agents, they stamped pre-1898 dates on everything they thought they could sneak in to sell. Probably 95% of the Martini's they sold there were made within the last 10-15 years. I saw a nice pre-1964 model 94 Winchester there (probably made in the 50's) with an 1879 date hand stamped on it.
TOM

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.