Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently inherited what I believe is a Murata Shotgun. I took it to a gunsmith who said it is 32 gauge. Can forum members help confirm this is a Murata Shotgun and hopefully share some of the history of it development. Pictures are provided of all the marking and writing found on it. Just in case the pictures do not view properly, I uploaded these to Photobucket : http://s1352.photobucket.com/user/r...598427_10200186796294975_549797373_n.jpg.html Thanks. 001.jpg 002.jpg 003.jpg 004.jpg 005.jpg 006.jpg 007.jpg 008.jpg 009.jpg

·
Platinum Bullet Member
995 Posts
Ron,
I've had a look through the pictures you sent me. It is a Murata pattern shotgun, and it is marked as being chambered in the Japanese No.30 gauge. I haven't been able to decipher all the characters as most are quite worn, but maybe Eddoko or SSSCLimitedTrademark will be able to read them for you.
In photo 6, the five vertical characters 村田猟銃 (which are upside down), say Murata type hunting gun, (or Murata type shotgun), above this are four characters, the left pair of which I think mean 'safe'.
In photo 7, the three characters 三十径 (again upside down) read 30 diameter (or 30 calibre).
The No.30 was a Japanese shotgun gauge which used a case with the same "Mauser 'A' head", and the same head dimensions as the 11mm Murata, but instead of being bottlenecked like the 11mm, it had a straight taper.
Some Murata shotguns are conversions from Murata rifles, but the majority were built as shotguns to the same design as the rifles, but with different size components and in calibres ranging from 7.6mm up to 8 gauge.
There is some information on Teri's website, http://members.shaw.ca/tju/muratashotgunpix.htm
If the make of yours can be identified I will look to see if I have a relevant catalogue entry.

·
Registered
6,224 Posts
Ron,

I received your photos and was preparing to send a response, however, it looks like you've gotten good answers already.

C/

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To All, I very much appreciate everyone's comments and insights and any further information, as I am very interested in learning as much about the origin and development of this gun as I can. (Age, manufacturer, is it a conversion or not and such) As an individual I love details.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello Seinen, If you have any further insights, I would very appreciative. Ron

·
Registered
359 Posts
As Tanegashima has stated, this is a Murata Type Hunting Shotgun, marked with "Safe", "Excellent (Well-Known) Weapon" on top, likely for advertisement. The manufacturer's name, however, does not match up with the usual Tokyo Arsenal markings. It is difficult to make out what is inscribed, but I see 「実金尤猟銃製造所」 which produced no results. A closeup with higher level of detail may be further helpful.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Steve and all, Will attempt to provide pictures of the markings which are closer up. Thanks, Ron

·
Platinum Bullet Member
995 Posts
Steve and all,

Could the characters on picture five be 安全な猟銃製造所 with a meaning of 'safe hunting gun made by manufacturing plant' in otherwords is it just saying that this is a factory made gun, not a handmade gun?

·
Kryptonite member
5,765 Posts
This, the Murata shotguns, is one of those areas where further research is needed resulting in a publication. Frank Allan, are you listening?

·
Registered
359 Posts
Steve and all,
Could the characters on picture five be 安全な猟銃製造所 with a meaning of 'safe hunting gun made by manufacturing plant' in otherwords is it just saying that this is a factory made gun, not a handmade gun?
The last five characters are legible and correct, signifying Hunting Arms Manufacturing Plant. However, 「安全な」 placed before this would signify "a safe manufacturing plant". Rather, the three previous letters seem to say 「実金尤」 which would be roughly interpreted as "genuine, excellent metals". There appears to be two more characters above the first legible one, which may provide better insight as to where this weapon was manufactured.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The area above the " 実 " character is very worn. I have sketched what little I can make out. If there is a character above, I cannot discern it. 004.JPG

·
Gold Bullet member
6,110 Posts
Would like to see a photo with a good focus on the character markings, aloutgh it may still be tough to read from the wear.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts