Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some relitively decent by today's standards...anyone seen anything around, I'd
muchly appreciate the info...tks...Jack

·
Registered
849 Posts
Yes, the CMP is the best deal out there on geniune GI M-2 ball ammo. I have a thousand rounds on order for about $.32 per round shipped.

D.D.

·
Registered
14 Posts
CZAK

Last year I ordered some of the CMP lake city 30-06. Shoots GREAT !!

This December, on my way back from Disney World, I stopped at the CMP Anniston, AL site and purchased close to a 1000 rounds of the Greek 30-06. Have not shot it yet, but it looks just like the Lake City ammo and cost less.

Luger43

·
Registered
849 Posts
CMP reports a 2 month delay in shipping. On their ammo forum, it was reported that they received over 4,000 orders in one day. Multiply that by every day since the election and you can see that they have a mountain of orders to process...

I can wait to get mine since I already have plenty of '06 on hand and won't be shooting any until spring time anyways.

D.D.

·
Banned
3,631 Posts
Best, but...

Full disclosure...

CMP were getting 800+ orders per day that I calculated and say they were/are getting 1,000/day. Running 12 hr. shifts they are, indeed, still 2 mos. behind in shipping since at least early December...

Generally, folks complain about the Greek ammo as being too hot (maybe it was subjected to high temps?) sometimes damaging the op. rod on Garands. And the CMP Lake City (that had a bit of a cult following) remaining is loose rounds of assorted lots from over many years, decades actually, shoveled into boxes and is expected to be 10 to 15% corroded they'll tell ya. Still, it is available in quantity.

Alden

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Full disclosure...

CMP were getting 800+ orders per day that I calculated and say they were/are getting 1,000/day. Running 12 hr. shifts they are, indeed, still 2 mos. behind in shipping since at least early December...

Generally, folks complain about the Greek ammo as being too hot (maybe it was subjected to high temps?) sometimes damaging the op. rod on Garands. And the CMP Lake City (that had a bit of a cult following) remaining is loose rounds of assorted lots from over many years, decades actually, shoveled into boxes and is expected to be 10 to 15% corroded they'll tell ya. Still, it is available in quantity.

Alden
1. I have not heard any complaints about HXP Military ammo damaging anything. Reports are it is closer to M2 vel specs than late 60s/early 70s LC. Some people say it gave trouble fitting in tight 1903 chambers but that's all. Maybe you are referring to the commercial Pyrkal. If not please give a link to any such reports.

2. There is nothing whatsoever wrong with the LC other than delinking damage amounting to dents. The ammo appears to have been delinked from overhead fire spec lots and all mine in the can is the same year. If anything I expect overhead fire lots to be more consistent than regular M2, for obvious reasons. It is not floor sweepings. It looks like a can or a few cans were delinked and the ammo went right back in the same can, or close enough. Cans are pristine in and out, no rust.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks again for the info all, the LC sounds good, so might as well get an order in. I've got a pile of old enblocks...Jack

·
Banned
3,631 Posts
Greek to me

The Greek ammo chatter, fairly often containing the reservations I shared from various forums as well as praise, is there -- look around.

Glad to hear the LC ammo is better than the warning they have before you buy it... They even show grungy pic...

All ammunition is subject to deterioration over time.
Customers should expect that 5% to 15% of the cartridges in any can may exhibit some stages of discoloration or corrosion or other abnormalities. As with any surplus ammunition, each and every round should be carefully checked before use.
Deformed or otherwise suspect rounds should not be fired.
These cartridges are aged surplus military ammunition.
This ammunition is NOT newly-manufactured, and is sold STRICTLY
IN “AS IS” CONDITION, with no warranty expressed or implied.

Alden

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Glad to hear the LC ammo is better than the warning they have before you buy it... They even show grungy pic...

All ammunition is subject to deterioration over time.
Customers should expect that 5% to 15% of the cartridges in any can may exhibit some stages of discoloration or corrosion or other abnormalities. As with any surplus ammunition, each and every round should be carefully checked before use.
Deformed or otherwise suspect rounds should not be fired.
These cartridges are aged surplus military ammunition.
This ammunition is NOT newly-manufactured, and is sold STRICTLY
IN “AS IS” CONDITION, with no warranty expressed or implied.

Alden
That warning is over the whole ammo section on the website including new Aguila ammo. Which of course would be ridiculous if true. The grungy ammo photo is typical of some HXP that is in cartons rather than clips. The glue/cardboard/ammo on the boxes seem to interact in some way leading to corrosion. I have yet to get a tarnished round in, well, a lot of cans of clipped HXP. CMP undergrades and overcautions a lot. Last I was at the North Store a couple weeks ago they had "salvage grade" M1917s that seemed to have come right out of the rebuild depot.

·
Registered
849 Posts
No problem with the HXP Greek here. Shoots fine in an M-1 and 1903-A3. Other than the glue that holds the boxes together failing, the ammunition is fine. It was kind of funny when I opened the spam cans and took the boxes out. The boxes spontaineously opened and spilled their contents while I was stacking them.

D.D.

·
Banned
3,631 Posts
Loose lips

Thanks for opinion(s). As I said that's what THEY say and, even if they are erring on the side of caution, of course they're not talking about the new ammo but clearly the stuff cobbled together from assorted stocks -- a warning about the loose .30-06 for example, probably the most "surplus" surplus they carry. Discount it or not -- just sharing. I happen to have paid for some Greek stripper in '08 myself and, wow, was my wife mad! Seriously though, and a little of everything mentioned here already last year...
Alden

·
Registered
534 Posts
The Greek ammo that causes problems is the Olympic commercial ammo, not the HXP. The Olympic says on the box that it's M2 ball, but they are lying. The stuff is hot, poor quality control with variable seating depths. Probably OK in a bolt gun, but don't use it in a Garand. The HXP shoots noticably better than the LC in my Garands.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Appreciate all this input...what are some of the "years" headstamped on the LC ? Do they
still have big quantities of the WWII stuff ? Haven't seen that stuff since the 70's...thanks again...Jack

·
Registered
849 Posts
I only know of 1968 and 1969 dates in the surplus LC coming from the CMP within the past few years. I guess that LC made many, many millions of rounds for aid to S. Vietnam that never got there for one reason or another.

D.D.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts