Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like the title says, is there anyone out there that is currently doing restorations on welded 1915 8mm Lebel Chatchat barrels? I have two that are from Dewat firearms that I need to have properly rebuilt.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Like the title says, is there anyone out there that is currently doing restorations on welded 1915 8mm Lebel Chatchat barrels? I have two that are from Dewat firearms that I need to have properly rebuilt.
If you're so inclined to post 'before' photos and follow up in this thread with the 'after' restorations, I think a lot of us would enjoy your successes.

369th Infantry Regiment (Harlem Hellfighters) Chauchat, August 1918

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bob is booked solid. Any other people we can think of that work on 1915 Chauchat's?

Story, I intend to photograph and share the restoration of these two. One is a single saw cut, the other is missing a chunk of receiver. Both were welded dewats at one time in their lives. The one missing the chunk is going to require that I take apart the lower as the side rails are torqued. That one is going to require a lot of attention.

There are a few parts that I am going to fabricate (like bipods) and a few springs are going to need to be replaced. That's part of the fun of restoration.

More to come.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
You may want to contact this company;

Gary's Bunker

Reading what is posted he has manufactured a ChauChat barrel.
Might not be beyond his skill to fix one!

Richard

·
Registered
334 Posts
I'd say move along. After spending a lot of hours and doing three of them I have yet to see any others that work really well. A few work, some work for a while, many are even shooter error on good guns. While it appears simple it's not. Making a barrel is easy, getting it all together and functioning correctly is a whole different animal. Even if you made a new barrel that's only 20% of getting the gun to work. It's by far the hardest gun I've ever worked on, there's so much going on. Rewarding when you succeed, but then you have the ammo issue to look forward to, and test firing becomes expensive.
Originally they worked great for the time, but required a LOT of training to be successful. French soldiers spent the time and were successful, others did not and failed miserably and tarnished the reputation of the gun.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Since you have two dewats do you have a spare bolt you want to sell? Thanks
All three are live guns so I'm not parting with any spare parts at the moment unfortunately.

I am actually looking for what I'd call a chamber sleeve ( the part that the barrel screws into and surrounds the bolt). I'd then be able to complete a spare barrel assembly.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts