Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello gents i picked up a butchered no4 mk1 rifle a while back. While researching on restoring it to military looks atleast i started looking at rebarreling. While beating the bushes of the web i seen numerous 45-70 conversions. I would really like this idea. Now not being able to find a barrel is it possible to bore out a 303 barrel to 45 70? Does the reciever need any modification? Can anyone help with info on this type of ordeal?

·
Registered
7,893 Posts
Yes, a No4 will handle the 45-70 and it has been done. As far as turning a Bubba'd donor into one you're probably better off posting in the gunsmithing section. There is a certain rule here about collectors and collectable rifles, so the in depth info you need is probably not allowed.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Yes, a No4 will handle the 45-70 and it has been done. As far as turning a Bubba'd donor into one you're probably better off posting in the gunsmithing section. There is a certain rule here about collectors and collectable rifles, so the in depth info you need is probably not allowed.
If the barrel is cut down already, I don't think most people are going to fret about collectability.

·
Banned
18,170 Posts
I think you have to open up more then just the bore, something to do with the rim feeding. I've heard of .444 Marlin being done too because its supposed to be simpler.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Collectability is not a concern for me nor is value. In its current state it isnt worth much. As to opening it up somemore for the rim i dont know either. I hear lots saying they converted em or had em done and its simple but nobody post on how to do it.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ive tried but nobody has any how to do it. Everyone said its great or had it done. I read were some one was trying with a mk 3. Im gonna order some dummy rounds or get some 45-70 to try sticking it in the reciever to see what it looks like.

·
Registered
7,893 Posts
If the barrel is cut down already, I don't think most people are going to fret about collectability.
You're correct, but that wasn't my point. The ensuing discussion of "how-to" step by step would result in a sporterizing topic which is frowned upon here. Personally I'd like to see pics and the results on target once it's complete. :)

·
Copper Bullet Member
12,727 Posts
I have done it using a junker. Not too hard. Barrel from numrich. Express sights, reused monte carlo 2 piece stock. Did have to open mag well. Found that an aftermarket mag worked fairly well without much alteration. Wouldn't face down a charging hippo as feed reliability is not 100%. Saw a cool conversion utilizing a modified full length milsurp stock.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.