Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had a shooter 1903 & A3 before, but I just picked up my first collectible one and wanted to know if it is "correct". The gentleman that I bought it from said that his grandfather was a gunsmith and had bought 3 Remington A3's & a Smith-Corona from the DCM back in the late 50's / early 60's, with the intention of sporterizing them. Fortunately, he never got around to it and they ended up stored in his attic for decades. The seller said that his grandfather had never shot any of them and that they all were in pristine shape. This Remington (12-43 barrel) was the only one that he was selling, as he was keeping the other three (he even had the orginal DCM boxes for 2 of those 3).

As stated above, my first question is whether this gun appears to be "correct" as built or a possible rebuild? It looks like it has the right mix of parked & blued parts to be original, but I'm no expert, so I simply don't know.

My last question is about the rack number. What do you think the history of this rifle may be? Would this have been a domestic rifle or a foreign return to the DCM?

Any information that you guys could provide would be greatly appreciated!

Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks absolutely correct as built, all Remington. Rack number is US; no rifles sold by DCM in that timeframe were foreign returns. Nice condition all around!
Thanks Brad, you answered both of my questions. Based on the wear to the buttplate, I wonder if this was a ceremonial rifle of some sort? The bore is as-new, so I doubt that any blanks were ever shot from it.

·
Gold Bullet member
4,345 Posts
The wear on the bolt shows some use; I would surmise it went to a unit stateside, stayed there for a bit (long enough to escape the immediate post war arsenal checks performed on rifles in depot storage) and was turned in shortly after. Is there an OG stamp on the left side of the butt about 3 inches back from the wrist? If not, this is a likely scenario.

·
Registered
743 Posts
The buttplate shows to be a Remington when the photo is enlarged. Remington's are 16 lines per inch, and Smith-Corona's are 10 l.p.i. At first glance, the light on the photo seems to make the plate appear to be the coarse "checkering" of the S-C.

You'll not see many better 03A3's on the loose. Congratulations.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.