Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up this SAKO 1942 M39 with a GSA Repro Bayonet for $700 locally

Since these are all mix/force matched by the Finns its not a big deal to me as its a shooter anyway. Just wasn't sure as my other VKT M39 bolt doesn't look like this.

Font wise the 3 and the 2 look like they match the forcematched floorplate, but the 1s look off to me. Anybody seen them ground and done like this?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Finn Mosin’s were numbered on the knob,......." but I’ve only seen 2 others with ‘flats’ of sorts either struck, or ground, on the knob

I think it’s a Finn renumbering of a bolt previously numbered by the Finn’s. I see no jacking around there, it’s the real thing.

·
Diamond Member
6,145 Posts
Those grind marks look pretty fresh and the font of the 2 (added for clarity... the two numbers in the center) in the center is a little funny. Anyway ways......great look SAKO stock cartouche! Denny

·
Silver Bullet Member
4,799 Posts
I'm good with it not being humped. If I were buying that rifle, the serial number stamping would give me no pause.

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
I would say yes

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I've seen the same thing, on "just imported" Finns, many years ago. Having said that, it doesn't preclude a recent "hump".

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Stock cartouche was one of the reasons I picked this one up hahaha. I agree it looks kinda fresh, but Its not a K98k so I'm not sure why someone would go out of their way to pass it off as matching, when they were mismatching to begin with.

I like the theory it was re-renumbered by the fins. Its not like there would be a serial there on a normal 91/30 bolt so no reason to grind it if you were trying to pass off a random replaced bolt.

Thanks for the replies guys!

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Stock cartouche was one of the reasons I picked this one up hahaha. I agree it looks kinda fresh, but Its not a K98k so I'm not sure why someone would go out of their way to pass it off as matching, when they were mismatching to begin with.

I like the theory it was re-renumbered by the fins. Its not like there would be a serial there on a normal 91/30 bolt so no reason to grind it if you were trying to pass off a random replaced bolt.

Well someone sold it to you for $700. So obviously the work was worth $700 to them. I wouldn't try to justify in your head why a person in the states would fake it. I would ask myself are any other Finn's done like this? And the answer is "no".

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Well someone sold it to you for $700. So obviously the work was worth $700 to them. I wouldn't try to justify in your head why a person in the states would fake it. I would ask myself are any other Finn's done like this? And the answer is "no".
For $700 with the bayonet that's pretty decent deal in this current climate from what I've seen lately. I just wanted to see if anyone else had seen this, and according to posters above, they have. I am happy with what I paid and its a good shooter regardless of the stampings on the bolt head.

·
Registered
970 Posts
I think there should be a bolt serialization study of Finnish rifles still in Finland vs Finnish rifles imported to the United States. I think that would clear up some questions about what importers did upon import.

·
Gold Bullet member
7,709 Posts
Serial numbers on Mosin Nagants are meaningless. It would have made much greater sense to serialize the bolt head.
I also suspect the OP's bolt knob was renumbered by some entity other than an AV.

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
For $700 with the bayonet that's pretty decent deal in this current climate from what I've seen lately. I just wanted to see if anyone else had seen this, and according to posters above, they have. I am happy with what I paid and its a good shooter regardless of the stampings on the bolt head.

If you are happy with what you paid that is all that matters.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Those bayo's are going for over 200 now... and like others have stated for a shooter M 39 ... 500 hundo now days is a good deal. Many are 800 and up.

·
Premium Member
1,322 Posts
Non expert observation.... the fonts are different of the bolt head and magazine base/different stamps used.... should they be the same or not?

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
If the Finns renumbered the bolt, the fonts would more than likely not match, and just to throw a bump in the road, “Yes”, I think the Finns did it, or Pat Burns did, because I bought from her......and used that Sako M39 for years and felt the facets on the knob with every load.

When I cangetback into our village, I’ll take pictures of the Old Warhorse, as I called her.

·
Premium Member
1,322 Posts
If the Finns renumbered the bolt, the fonts would more than likely not match, and just to throw a bump in the road, “Yes”, I think the Finns did it, or Pat Burns did, because I bought from her......and used that Sako M39 for years and felt the facets on the knob with every load.

When I cangetback into our village, I’ll take pictures of the Old Warhorse, as I called her.
Just along those lines then for my knowledge....you are saying then that the Russians crossed out the old serial number and added the new to the mag # when they refurbed this rifle prior to the Finns getting it....

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Just along those lines then for my knowledge....you are saying then that the Russians crossed out the old serial number and added the new to the mag # when they refurbed this rifle prior to the Finns getting it....
Mmmmmmm, not really. I’m saying that I have an M39 at home with the same treatment as the OP’s bolt handle, and I’m of the opinion that the Finns may have serialed the bolt, then recycled it, grinding the old numbers and applyin the new numbers in a different font.
The Finn’s and the Russians used different locations for the bolts serial
My question is did Sako serial the floor plates? That is a very un Sako like lineout on the on the floor plate......yet It’s not impossible the original Sako serialed bolt was damaged/lost and replaced, in Finland.

And there’s always Pat Burns......LoL!

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
I think there should be a bolt serialization study of Finnish rifles still in Finland vs Finnish rifles imported to the United States. I think that would clear up some questions about what importers did upon import.
Yes, yes there should.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts