Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
Looks like rust pitting, maybe something was stuck in the barrel for a long time. It could also be a ringed barrel from shooting with an obstruction.

Run a tight patch through the barrel. If it feels like resistance “skips”, you have a ringed barrel. If so, inspect the outside of the barrel to make sure it’s not bulged. If no skip, probably just rust pitting. Either way, I doubt it is unsafe but may effect accuracy. Just keep an eye on it.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Hard to tell from pic. Best is in hand observation by a Smith. How far back in the barrel is that? I would feel the outside of the barrel in that spot just in case. Otherwise really saturate the spot with Sweets 762 and let it sit and later hit it with a good brush and see what you get.

Don

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks like rust pitting, maybe something was stuck in the barrel for a long time. It could also be a ringed barrel from shooting with an obstruction.

Run a tight patch through the barrel. If it feels like resistance “skips”, you have a ringed barrel. If so, inspect the outside of the barrel to make sure it’s not bulged. If no skip, probably just rust pitting. Either way, I doubt if is unsafe but may effect accuracy. Just keep an eye on it.
Thank you for your answer
I try to cleaning barrel heavily but the “Scar” still there, I believe it’s ringed barrel from the previous owner, fortunately the outside of barrel wasn’t bulged. thanks

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hard to tell from pic. Best is in hand observation by a Smith. How far back in the barrel is that? I would feel the outside of the barrel in that spot just in case. Otherwise really saturate the spot with Sweets 762 and let it sit and later hit it with a good brush and see what you get.

Don
Thank you for your answer
Right now I believe it was ringed barrel
So sad

·
Registered
13,566 Posts

Don
Not many people use Sweets anymore, and I figure I should remind people that stuff is intended for only short-term use in a barrel (well under an hour).

Read and follow the instructions for the stuff and DO NOT let Sweets sit in a barrel for anything resembling an extended amount of time.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
I agree, it is crud / pitting. lap it out with lapping compound, and shoot it. I see no problem? as stated no one has ever seen one blown up. PO ACKLEY did it with a gross over load & a metal rod welded into the bore. I believe that it was the end of the bolt that failed? a long time ago. I don't have his book any more.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Shoot some lead out of it and recheck the barrel. It's not obstructed, just rough. I've shot terribly pitted bores before and it tears the bullet up and cuts accuracy but it's not unsafe to shoot.

Anything you can clean out is good but should be OK to shoot. I keep some stainless brushes for this kind of a problem in older barrels.

·
Silver Bullet member
15,678 Posts
No one can tell from a picture if a rifle is "safe to shoot" or not.
Japanese T38 rifles are quite robust and generally safe in their original caliber, so likely it is-, but why do you "need" to fire it?

I can't think of a reason I'd fire any rifle that made me question its safety!
I would not waste any time on a 'smith's opinion; in our litigious society any person with a modicum of sense will tell you - "No, shoot at your own risk".
As always, JMHO. :unsure: ;)

Reactions: jeeplover

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
Shoot some lead out of it and recheck the barrel. It's not obstructed, just rough. I've shot terribly pitted bores before and it tears the bullet up and cuts accuracy but it's not unsafe to shoot.

Anything you can clean out is good but should be OK to shoot. I keep some stainless brushes for this kind of a problem in older barrels.
shoot hard ball, as soft lead will fetch up and add more stuff that you will have to remove!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts