Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I Just bought this martini MKII and noticed it
has a butt sling swivel is that correct ?
Or is it good copy ?
mcgoo

Glad to report it appears real . All markings and proofs look real
Bore looks as though it will clean up good .
I've had it off the wood and the barrel underside has very nice bluing and
no pitting .
The only problems I have concern about are the little pivot pin keeper screw
is stripped . Is there any way to repair the threads in receiver side ?
Also there is some looseness in the pivot pin when uncocked .
The pin shows some wear opposite the keeper groove .
Can both of the above problems be corrected ?
Or should I sell it and keep looking ?
Mcgoo

·
Registered
519 Posts
What is it's date? What is the calibre? Can you show a close-up of the swivel?
Rob

·
Administrator
3,959 Posts
Reciever looks pretty real....but I've been wrong a few times lately.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Re: Real or Fake?

I bid on a MKIII offered by the same dealer. After looking carefully at extra photos of the receiver I had some doubts. The lockviewers mark and III seemed off-center from the 1885 date which also seemed somewhat more crude than I'd expect. There was a large NZ over what looked like 94 atop the knoxform. Stock wrist had cracked and been repaired by decorated brass bands and red wrap (tape?) I didn't win, so perhaps was saved from myself. I'll see if I can post the pics, because this was a good example of an "Is it or Isn't it?" conundrum for me. The MKII shown above (receiver photo was pretty clear on the auction site) seemed, by contrast, kosher to me.

Victor

"Always carry a firearm east of Aldgate, Watson."

·
Registered
410 Posts
12 Oct. 2007
10am

The gun looks genuine to me. The most likely explanations for the butt swivel are (a) that someone simply added it somewhere along the line (very likely) or (b) that the butt is a replacement taken from a mk. I Martini (perfectly plausible, but less likely that "a").

Coggansfield

·
Registered
519 Posts
Looks genuine, in my humble opinion. Swivel: either a MkI butt substitute (do a scan of the stock cartouche), or as a later addition. If you try to carry a MkII without a butt swivel slung diagonally across your back, you find it very awkward. I have seen a photo of Britis soliers carrying them upside down, for this very reason. Once the rifle is no longer in Army service, a butt swivel makes perfect sense.
Rob

1 - 7 of 7 Posts