Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just came back from the funeral of a good friend. He spent 28 years in the Army Air Corps and the Air Force. Sometime in that 28 years he earned the Bronze Star. We think that it was during Vietnam. No one including his wife or kids has any idea what he received the award for. He would never talk about it. Is there any way to find out why the commendation was issued?

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
99,406 Posts
I just came back from the funeral of a good friend. He spent 28 years in the Army Air Corps and the Air Force. Sometime in that 28 years he earned the Bronze Star. We think that it was during Vietnam. No one including his wife or kids has any idea what he received the award for. He would never talk about it. Is there any way to find out why the commendation was issued?
Yes, his wife as the surviving NOK can request his records and it should be possible to get a copy of trhe commendation as well if it isn't included in what she gets. Has to contact the National Personnel Records Facility in writing - can use the web-site to get the request form, but that has to be sent in phsyically, signed by the requesto.

·
Registered
6,849 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the information. I will pass it on to the family. I know that he was in the occupation of Germany and he served 28 years so he should have separated from the Air Force sometime in the mid 70's.

·
99,406 Posts
Most of the records that were destroyed were Army. Most Air Force (includng Army Air Force) records survived as i understand it. If he got Bronze Star in the Vietnam years, those records will have survived, and since his service apaprently didn't have a break, even earlier ones should be there. The records didn't go to the Personnel Center until a service memeber left active duty.

Occupation duty in Germany lasted much longer than many realize (I tried to get a transfer to Berlin while i was in Germany ion themid060s so I could qualify for the Army of Occuppation Medal, but i couldn't manage it). Service periods for that medal (clasps to indicate whoch occuppied nation):

Germany (May 9, 1945 to May 5, 1955)
Austria (May 9, 1945 to July 7, 1955)
Italy (May 9, 1945 to September 15, 1947)
West Berlin (May 9, 1945 to October 3, 1990)
Because of the legal status of West Berlin, as an occupied territory until the unification of Germany, the Army of Occupation Medal was issued for forty five years making it one of the longest active military awards of both the Second World War and the Cold War.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
8,124 Posts
If he participated in the Berlin Airlift, then he should rate the specific medal that was struck for the event.

·
Silver Bullet member
6,214 Posts
....Because of the legal status of West Berlin, as an occupied territory until the unification of Germany, the Army of Occupation Medal was issued for forty five years making it one of the longest active military awards of both the Second World War and the Cold War.
Interesting factoid, Clyde!

·
99,406 Posts
Yeah, I found out about it after i got to Germany, and tried to get reassigned to the Berlin Brigade as a maintenance officer. Couldn't work it for reasons that had to do with stuff I had access to in my initial unit assignment (things we really didn't have a need to know, but were told anyway). A reorganization caused me to be reassigned, and i thought it would be neat to come home with another medal ribbon beyond the National Defense Service Medal, but....

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If he participated in the Berlin Airlift, then he should rate the specific medal that was struck for the event.
Does anyone have a picture of the ribbon or medal that would be associated with the Berlin airlift? I have seen the shadow box that the family has with his ribbons and metals and would like to go check again to see if I can find the correct one in the display.

·
Silver Bullet member
5,574 Posts
Huh, I was there for a total of seven years and never got a medal.

After my first tour in Berlin I DID get a commission, so I suppose it wasn't all wasted.

tac

·
Registered
184 Posts
Here's the Navy's site for personal and unit awards, it also has links for the Marines, Army and Air Force for the same.

Navy Department Awards Web Services (NDAWS) or navy.awards.mil

R,
Beck

1 - 14 of 14 Posts