Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet Member
2,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Perhaps as I near my mid 40's I am turning into my father.. but I noticed that over the past years some posts have become "selfies". Really a one way post to solicit an "Atta Boy" or "Nice". I jokingly call them Facebook posters.. but they really don't want to hear any contrary feedback.

While I am all for the growing number of firearms owners and collectors, its really relegated me to responding to those I have known on these boards for years.

Anyone else notice a trend or is it just me? And no.. I don't have facebook. I got rid of it when people started posting how sad they were.. and that they didn't remember eating corn the night before :)

·
Banned
3,280 Posts
Perhaps as I near my mid 40's I am turning into my father.. but I noticed that over the past years some posts have become "selfies". Really a one way post to solicit an "Atta Boy" or "Nice". I jokingly call them Facebook posters.. but they really don't want to hear any contrary feedback.

While I am all for the growing number of firearms owners and collectors, its really relegated me to responding to those I have known on these boards for years.

Anyone else notice a trend or is it just me? And no.. I don't have facebook. I got rid of it when people started posting how sad they were.. and that they didn't remember eating corn the night before :)
it's generally the same poster that will try to preach to you by saying "if you can't say something nice, you shouldn't post.....or make something up" :)

·
Registered
502 Posts
I hope I don't fall into that category. I tend to post my rifles up but I openly welcome any feedback, positive or negative. If someone sees something on my rifle that's wrong, tells me I'm smoking crack for buying it, I want to hear it all. For me, I'm here to learn from everyone else and if someone thinks I made a mistake buying a rifle then I want to learn from that.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Don't think I could have said that any better. +1

I hope I don't fall into that category. I tend to post my rifles up but I openly welcome any feedback, positive or negative. If someone sees something on my rifle that's wrong, tells me I'm smoking crack for buying it, I want to hear it all. For me, I'm here to learn from everyone else and if someone thinks I made a mistake buying a rifle then I want to learn from that.

·
Oak Leaves with Clusters Member
3,488 Posts
I think differently (at 68). I think lots of folks are proud of what they found. Sure, they like to hear "nice" but not all are upset to learn more about their firearm, even though it is human nature not to be thrilled with negative info about their find. But it is part of the learning process.

I really like it when someone posts their photos of a M91 (especially) that they just found. I don't mind saying congratulations because I mean it. And I just skip posts on new refurbs, etc. unless the title indicates something unusual.

Maybe I missed your point?

·
Registered
17,732 Posts
Whenever I post my stuff I am always open to feedback good or bad. Especially bad; because thats how one learns - even more so if the source is documented.

But i know a few folks here.. mostly newer folks.. when they post their stuff.. or say something inaccurate in the thread and/or title they become angry if you question or try to correct/inform (IE - this rifle is 100% original.. etc). The result is you just get the folks that come through and say nice rifle etc. Just so not to ruffle feathers.

Sometimes though you do get the one or two people who politely explains why its not what they think it is; or corretly tweak what was said. The thread starter then becomes upset and confrontational. Since in their minds its their thread and nothing negative or debated topic should be said in it. The result is they tell the person to sod off since its their thread and nothing bad or insightful should be said.

Ive had this happen to me before..

PS-

I am not counting the folks who hop in just to be negative in order to be negative. I am talking about people who actually care about the subject and have documented sources / references.

well said.

·
Moderator/Gold Bullet member
9,092 Posts

Nope, it's not just you.

Pat

·
Diamond Bullet Member
1,970 Posts

It takes all kinds of people to fill the world. I'll agree with most of what you said - especially ignoring some folks & making sure I respond to some that I've known for years.

Two remarks -

1.) mid-40's, heck, you're a whipper-snapper!

2.) with your permission - my standard response on Facebook to the "I'm sad" post will be to question if they had corn the nite before. Love it!

·
Platinum Bullet Member
2,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I too welcome the learnings.. and that's what keeps me collecting.

Loteme, myself and others who love our hobby and are as intrigued by its nuances and our failures to grasp them are what it interesting.

I really was pointing to the just read my post and praise me folks.. Usually the ones that a mod has to shut down because it get personal fast.

·
Silver Bullet Member
20,974 Posts
Trappings of the internet age of collecting. Many times the added value of contribution is inversely proportional to the tag line, "Sent from my ***** phone".

....posted from my dinosaur desktop brick

·
Registered
496 Posts

What I don't appreciate is the "Good Ole Boys" network on this board. You ask a question, or reply to a post of a Rifle and you get "Ignored" because you're not in their "Network"

Or they talk about how they won a rare piece at an auction site, but you ask what auction site and you get ignored, as if I'm going to Outbid you after the fact. Get A Life.............

Even get Ignored in PM's.

I don't feel welcome here on the Collectors Forum because of this. That's MY Opinion and that's how I feel.

Your "Network" is not "Special" and I'm not going to stoop below your Levels to "Join" your "Network/Crew"

I don't need to feel good. I thought this was a Fair place, but I was wrong. Guess I'll never be a member of the "Good Ole Boys"

You know who you are!

·
Platinum Bullet Member
2,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I can only speak for myself here. I don't know you or the context of your posts so I can't explain why others may have ignored you.

I don't reply to "Where did you find that" if its something that would take about 15 seconds to find.

I don't reply to "What load do you use for XXX" because I don't want the liability if they hurt themselves.

I do reply to all IM's because its common courtesy. Someone takes the time to write.. write back, even if you don't answer their specific question.

This is a place for collectors and you will find some of the most quoted and documented collection owners here.

Good ole Boys network, not by a long shot.

By Collectors, For Collectors.. YES

·
Registered
101 Posts
What I don't appreciate is the "Good Ole Boys" network on this board. You ask a question, or reply to a post of a Rifle and you get "Ignored" because you're not in their "Network"

Or they talk about how they won a rare piece at an auction site, but you ask what auction site and you get ignored, as if I'm going to Outbid you after the fact. Get A Life.............

Even get Ignored in PM's.

I don't feel welcome here on the Collectors Forum because of this. That's MY Opinion and that's how I feel.

Your "Network" is not "Special" and I'm not going to stoop below your Levels to "Join" your "Network/Crew"

I don't need to feel good. I thought this was a Fair place, but I was wrong. Guess I'll never be a member of the "Good Ole Boys"

You know who you are!
There are quite a few here who will belittle others for their percieved "lack" of knowledge, as if joining this board makes you all knowing. I've learned quite a bit here just by reading through posts for the last few years; never felt the need to join until recently...and kind of wish I would have stayed on the sidelines. One guy in particular must be on the inside, as he would get booted off of most other forums just for being a troll, but here he is allowed to run rampant with his snide remarks and always has to be a vortex of negativity...yeah, that guy. His screen name makes one think of golf....

·
Registered
12,571 Posts
There has actually been some good discussion on the collectors forum as of late. Sure a couple of threads went of the deep end and got personal for a brief moment in time, but they got back on the subject of collecting and some decent discussion came out of the fracas. You just gotta skim through some of that stuff from time to time to get to the meat. I've found that collectors are passionate about the hobby and their rifles and can get caught up in the heat of the moment, but generally most are pretty good people.

Maybe this selfie will make you feel better.

Attachments

·
Banned
3,280 Posts
There are quite a few here who will belittle others for their percieved "lack" of knowledge, as if joining this board makes you all knowing. I've learned quite a bit here just by reading through posts for the last few years; never felt the need to join until recently...and kind of wish I would have stayed on the sidelines. One guy in particular must be on the inside, as he would get booted off of most other forums just for being a troll, but here he is allowed to run rampant with his snide remarks and always has to be a vortex of negativity...yeah, that guy. His screen name makes one think of golf....
Actually most would get banned from trying to call out others for personal e-catfights......

·
Diamond Bullet Member
8,693 Posts
What's even funnier is when someone starts a thread like this and the people you are referring to are the first to condemn or explain such actions of "others". ;)

The milsurp world is changing, has been for years, many years before I started. I don't like how things are looking.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I hope you guys don't mind if I chime in. I thought I would comment from the prospective of a new member and new to collecting point of view. I have to say this forum has been very helpful to me and I have learned a lot from reading all the posts every day. I have also posted pictures of rifles I have bought and asked questions about them. I also appreciate the feedback both good and bad. that's how I have been learning. I wont say all my posts get a lot of attention and I'm sure people mite think some of the questions are dumb to the avid collector, But there has always been at least a few people that have been wiling to answer them. Yes I have been guilty of posting pictures of reworked 91/30's that most people are not interested in but at the time I didn't know they are not collectable and I was just excited that I had a new cool looking rifle. After spending some time on this forum I have now learned to took for the harder to find stuff. I guess my point is I am thankful for the experts on this forum that are still willing to take the time to answer the questions of the new collectors and give them feeback on how to be a better collector.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.