Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw the recent thread on corrosion and acidic cardboard and it got me wondering.

Is it ok to just take PPU or Speer ammo in the boxes of 20 or 50 and put them in ammo cans with dessicant for long term storage?

I don't have any really old stuff, max 10 years o!d, average 5 years old. So it would seem to be relative!y modern packaging.

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
I saw the recent thread on corrosion and acidic cardboard and it got me wondering.

Is it ok to just take PPU or Speer ammo in the boxes of 20 or 50 and put them in ammo cans with dessicant for long term storage?

I don't have any really old stuff, max 10 years o!d, average 5 years old. So it would seem to be relative!y modern packaging.

Thanks.
Will it be stored for decades? If not, naw. Hype

·
Registered
7,436 Posts
Most of the package issues are with military surplus ammunition already decades old. I have never seen a commercial package that seems to have caused tarnish/corrosion on a cartridge.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I`ve got ammo from the 70`s and 80`s in boxes that I`ve reloaded and its still fine. Dont handle it with bare fingers if your going to store it or you may get light rusty prints on it. After I reload my ammo I just wipe it with cotton towel and box it. Some in those plastic cartridge boxes you can buy and some in the boxes the empty brass came in. Here we have pretty low humidity and no high heat in ak havent had any issues. dry and cool closet in center of house is best. no shed or attic or outside garage. Same for powder and primers cool and dry.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts