Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks, I need some help. I got the rifle at a pawn shop and it's obviously used, "restored" and missing some wood furniture. Well after doing some research I've found some conflicting markings and cant seem to find a straight answer on the origin of the gun. Would any of you be able to tell me exactly what I have? Also a website to buy new hand guards? Thank you!
Hand Wood Bumper Automotive tire Bicycle part
Car alarm Hand Revolver Finger Bullet
Wood Bicycle part Household hardware Handle Bicycle handlebar
Communication Device Portable communications device Gesture Wood Mobile phone
Bicycle part Tire Rim Synthetic rubber Auto part
Brown Wood Flooring Hardwood Wood stain
Wood Handwriting Bumper Line Motor vehicle
Bicycle part Wood Bumper Cylinder Auto part
Material property Gas Tints and shades Electric blue Rectangle
Material property Wood Bumper Rectangle Font

·
Gold Bullet member
8,331 Posts
A Yugoslav M24, or at least it was originally. The stamping on the receiver ring is "Kingdom of Yugoslavia" and on the receiver it is "Military Technical Factory Kragujevac (the "C" is pronounced as "TS")

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What about the C with the crown? Is that not a Finnish marking? Or the M with the crown just below it? Do you know about the T with the crown or the..H?...II...with the crown? None of the Yugos had those markings and none of them had the bent charging handle.

·
Registered
602 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Yes, it is a Yugo M24 Mauser. What type of finish is that? It almost looks like paint. If it is, it may be able to be carefully stripped away to reveal the original finish. Any chance the shop will let you disassemble it fully or partially to get a feel for the finish?

·
Registered
602 Posts
All markings are shown in the 2005 book by Branko Bogdanovic, Serbian & Yugoslav Mauser Rifles. see pages 234- 241. Possible 1937 or maybe 1938?? rifle see page 92 table. Is that a round ball or a cavalry ball with a flat to the inside on the bent bolt. Two types of bolts were used. Bolt number does not match- I'd give it a FIELD headspace gauge test. I see you say you purchased it already. Odd, someone painted the metal. I see pits at the wood line. Pull the action out of the stockaded inspect metal. I wonder if some heavy duty paint remover will get the paint off??? Wood looks OK . I assume it was a $100 labor of love and you wanted to get it back to normal.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
That's a pretty nice Yugo M24. The metal parts are hidden under some green paint, but all the necessary stamps are clearly visible
--> just remove the green paint, and you'll might get a nice Yugo M24.
Same with the stock: it's the original stock; the cartouche of King Peter II is clearly visible (pic # 6), Especially the crown in Peter's cartouche is clearly visible.

What is not correct:
  • the bolt handle is bent (pic #3). Originally it was straight; that bend was made after importation to US, as visible by the 'bent' serial no. (the 2. and 3. '0' number). This bend doesn't look like Yugo original
  • one trigger guard locking screw is missing (pic #4)

Now it's on you to decide. Due to the good stock quality, i'd take her.
Handguards and bolts are available.

Chris

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Bubba went nuts with some BBQ paint... To me there are many other NICER 24's out there.....

I cant get over the finish and wood.......I need some Imodium now.......

·
Registered
266 Posts
What about the C with the crown? Is that not a Finnish marking? Or the M with the crown just below it? Do you know about the T with the crown or the..H?...II...with the crown? None of the Yugos had those markings and none of them had the bent charging handle.
The crown of Finnish Republic? No. Finnish Mausers? NO. If you don't count the cavalry Kar98a's (used for a short period in 1920s before m/27RV's), some trials rifles in 1930s and the Swede m/96's of the Swedish volunteers in the Winter War.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's a pretty nice Yugo M24. The metal parts are hidden under some green paint, but all the necessary stamps are clearly visible
--> just remove the green paint, and you'll might get a nice Yugo M24.
Same with the stock: it's the original stock; the cartouche of King Peter II is clearly visible (pic # 6), Especially the crown in Peter's cartouche is clearly visible.

What is not correct:
  • the bolt handle is bent (pic #3). Originally it was straight; that bend was made after importation to US, as visible by the 'bent' serial no. (the 2. and 3. '0' number). This bend doesn't look like Yugo original
  • one trigger guard locking screw is missing (pic #4)

Now it's on you to decide. Due to the good stock quality, i'd take her.
Handguards and bolts are available.

Chris
Thank you for throwing some info my way! It definitely needs some TLC!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
All markings are shown in the 2005 book by Branko Bogdanovic, Serbian & Yugoslav Mauser Rifles. see pages 234- 241. Possible 1937 or maybe 1938?? rifle see page 92 table. Is that a round ball or a cavalry ball with a flat to the inside on the bent bolt. Two types of bolts were used. Bolt number does not match- I'd give it a FIELD headspace gauge test. I see you say you purchased it already. Odd, someone painted the metal. I see pits at the wood line. Pull the action out of the stockaded inspect metal. I wonder if some heavy duty paint remover will get the paint off??? Wood looks OK . I assume it was a $100 labor of love and you wanted to get it back to normal.
Looks like someone found an old Mauser and tried to fix it up. I got it for a cheap price so maybe I'll throw down some more and get her in proper condition! Thank you for the info!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you for not providing any information for my question and just flexing your better looking rifle. Have a nice day.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
I’m not sure I understand the comments about the wood, the wood looks fine. Leave the wood alone.
Try to carefully remove the metal finish and refinish, but please do not sand or alter the wood. 1924 stocks are difficult to find with the original acceptance marks.

·
Premium Member
598 Posts
Certainly a Yugo Model 24. The paint is bizarre. If it were me, I'd try to remove the paint. There is definitely some pitting going on. I would remove the receiver and carefully check under the wood line, as there could be more pitting. The M24 is pretty uncommon. I think the stock looks good as is, I wouldn't mess with it.

·
Moderator/Gold Bullet member
8,871 Posts
Thank you for not providing any information for my question and just flexing your better looking rifle. Have a nice day.
Wow.

72 usmc has provided you with comparative examples of other rifles in correct condition, and in so doing, is pointing you in the right direction. You weren't headed that way on your own, which is evident by your questions regarding the Yugoslav inspection markings.

There's nothing wrong with not knowing and asking, but don't bite the hand that feeds you free information that those contributors have taken years to acquire themselves.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
3,068 Posts
I think what you're going to find if you remove that execrable paint is a lot of deep pitting, everywhere. The black stains on the stock are from leached-out rust. I'd be astounded if the bore were in any better condition. You can clearly see the ding mark where Bubba hit the bolt handle with a hammer to turn it down. He also may have removed, or tried to remove, the barrel; otherwise one would expect to see paint covering the joint between the receiver and the barrel shoulder. See the 8th photo; there's a distinct line there and what appear to be jaw marks on the barrel.

I hope you got it cheap, but to "throw down some more" on it would be a waste of money.

M

1 - 18 of 18 Posts