Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Well it’s debatable but this one definitely may have been both. Picked this up at a local auction for $232 out the door. It’s a Yugo M48 with a 24/47 straight bolt installed. No numbers match except the stock. Stock has lots of dings but matches. Action still has grease in it but is buttery smooth. I’m assuming she came from someplace similar to Albania where she was rode hard and put away wet.
Buttplate has rust I need to take care of. Somebody (a long time ago judging from the lack of fresh wood) decided to try and widen the sling slot slightly so I’m assuming they were forcing a sling through there that didn’t belong.
Definitely the ugliest M48 I’ve ever witnessed but I like it and couldn’t refuse for the price.
There are some dings on the butt stock (Elm wood), and some rust spots on the butt plate. The receiver, and front stock look pretty good on your pic.
--> just a sign of bad storage, but no sign of excessive wear. She was put away wet...
--> no sign of 'ridden hard' ! From Trigger guard onwards, your Yugo looks pretty good !

I've next to me a 1949 FN-made Belgian Congo --> that's a totally different level of 'rust' and 'wear'.

hope this is helpful, Chris

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There are some dings on the butt stock (Elm wood), and some rust spots on the butt plate. The receiver, and front stock look pretty good on your pic.
--> just a sign of bad storage, but no sign of excessive wear. She was put away wet...
--> no sign of 'ridden hard' ! From Trigger guard onwards, your Yugo looks pretty good !

I've next to me a 1949 FN-made Belgian Congo --> that's a totally different level of 'rust' and 'wear'.

hope this is helpful, Chris
The bands holding the handguard on don’t fit properly and I can see why. The front one is stuck and doesn’t come off so it must be forced on. I managed to get the magazine out and everything under the wood line is covered in thick cosmoline and the cosmoline is full of sand and rocks
Automotive tire Bumper Automotive wheel system Bicycle part Auto part

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
The bands holding the handguard on don’t fit properly and I can see why. The front one is stuck and doesn’t come off so it must be forced on. I managed to get the magazine out and everything under the wood line is covered in thick cosmoline and the cosmoline is full of sand and rocks
That's standard wear from 50+ years of storage. Just needs a cleaning job.
...'everything under the wood line is covered in thick cosmoline'... --> that's basically a very good sign:
  • cosmoline is used for long-time storage --> so she wasn't shot for a very long time
  • cosmoline prevents rust very efficiently
  • disadvantage: cosmoline is quite hard to remove

The important question is: What is the barrel condition???

Chris

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's standard wear from 50+ years of storage. Just needs a cleaning job.
...'everything under the wood line is covered in thick cosmoline'... --> that's basically a very good sign:
  • cosmoline is used for long-time storage --> so she wasn't shot for a very long time
  • cosmoline prevents rust very efficiently
  • disadvantage: cosmoline is quite hard to remove

The important question is: What is the barrel condition???

Chris
looks about the same as the exterior of the rifle. Was black when I got it but it cleaned up. Looks frosty still, won’t win any beauty contests

·
Registered
945 Posts
As of now I can’t remove the stock due to the front barrel band being stuck. Spring doesn’t depress enough to remove it. I can see multiple plant “seeds” under the wood line and lots of rocks. Kind of look like oats to me 🤣maybe I shouldn’t clean this mess and wreck the mystery associated with this rifle View attachment 3875984
If you use any kind of tool to depress the band spring be careful you don't slip and gouge the wood. Maybe warm it up a bit with a hair dryer if there's cosmo packed underneath it.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
If you use any kind of tool to depress the band spring be careful you don't slip and gouge the wood. Maybe warm it up a bit with a hair dryer if there's cosmo packed underneath it.
Heat is the way to go for sure. For one thing, the cosmo has likely caused the wood to swell. That may be why your barrel band is stuck. If it was forced on, you'd see drag marks on the stock. As "Kawicrash" noted, you may just have an accumulation of old dried cosmo under the the band spring and in the band spring channel. Heat and mineral spirits will help pull the old cosmo.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts