Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at a ShtLE Mk.I*** on one of the major auction sites that seems to be a renumbered Irish Free State issued gun, in the ER series. The problem is the restamped serial looks quite odd to be - it uses a serif font, and the stamping looks cruder than I'd expect from RSAF Enfield. Has anyone seen one like this before? Might it be a fake? I've wanted an Irish-issued gun for quite some time and this could be the one, but it's a lot of money to take a chance on, particularly when you factor in bringing it into Canada.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
4,612 Posts
Looks a bit "off" to me too. Fritz ought to chime in here, maybe he has some insight.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I didn't buy that ER series, but I picked up a different one today - interesting thing is this one appears to have a Mk.III rear handguard and no rear sight protectors. Has anyone seen an Irish Enfield in this configuration before, or should I be looking for replacements?

·
Platinum Bullet Member/Moderator
2,977 Posts
I would not be surprised at this combination. I have on that came with the forestock ears and the handguard ears on the same rifle. I expect things were slapped together to get something that could be sold.

·
Registered
646 Posts
See the MKI wood sticky ref Hgds can't see enough to say if the front Hgd is correct either or the rear a converted MKI ....but from the looks of the slope at the front of the rear Hgd it is a MKIII type? just shows you turn one away and another falls in your lap well done:))

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
See the MKI wood sticky ref Hgds can't see enough to say if the front Hgd is correct either or the rear a converted MKI ....but from the looks of the slope at the front of the rear Hgd it is a MKIII type? just shows you turn one away and another falls in your lap well done:))
Thanks! Seems like there's a lot of Irish SMLEs coming up on GB right now - I've been searching for them quite regularly over the past few years and only turning up Irish contract No.4s (not interested) and the odd RIC (which I already have), but I've seen 4 Irish SMLEs in the last couple of months - 2 FF marked Mk.IIIs and these two ER series Mk.I***s.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Maybe change your title from Nyles to Paddy seems as if you have an addiction for those men of the west of the mainland:)) Or maybe Jock as your not buying a handguard & before they all tell you it is correct as is.....most were converted rear Hgds & very distictive form the MKIII. Any chance of a look at the front Hgd this is special to the MKI series as well.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Definitely interested in Irish weapons / history. When the Mk.I*** arrives I'll post the whole set, but seeing as I'm exporting it from the US to Canada that'll be a month and a half at the earliest! I'll post better pics of the handguard at the same time.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Here is one for comparison...

1904 LSA I*** - Nearly all LSA "X" marked parts after a lengthy restoration back around 2003 involving trades with guys in five countries and three continents. Great story as to how it was acquired btw...

Attachments

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, it finally arrived and I'm pretty tickled with it! I stripped it all down and it's in quite decent shape. It's definitely got a Mk.III rear handguard on it, and a proper Mk.I front handguard - interestingly the color matches exactly, if it weren't for the different configuration I'd never guess it was a replacement. Now the question is was this because of shortages of parts in Irish service, or done by the importer? I'm more concerned that it's correct to it's Irish service than it's factory configuration. The cutoff is also a replacement, done by me as I had one lying around and can see them in photos from the Irish Civil War. Also, does anyone know where it's likely to have spent WW1? Were Mk.Is issued interchangeably with Mk.IIIs or were they relegated to something like Naval service?

Shown with a Canadian marked, Aussie refurbed 1917 SSA Mk.III*.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
4,612 Posts
In a nutshell, the ER prefixed rifles retained the MkI front end, while the CR prefixed rifles leaned more towards the MkIII style front end (to varying degrees).

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
OK, but what does that have to do with being an "Irish" rifle? Thanks, BB
Read Fritz's FF marked Enfield sticky above, post #20 will explain it.
Btw they are known as the Irish contract No4s not Irish MkIVs, they are a known s/n range of No4s made for the Irish, many remained unissued & wrapped but that does not detract from them being "Irish contract" rifles.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.