Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Almost done with this build . This has been the longest and most involved build I have ever done.It should be well worth the time and money sunk into it. It took alot of doing to collect all the parts .Have engraving done ,parts welded and machined . Just wanted to share these pics from my finisher who has done a most impressive refinishing job . Blueing looks great! The receiver (NDS yugo rpk type) had been welded up to cover the existing S and F selector markings and reengraved with the Iraqi selector markings. This is usualy a very hard area to get to blue even. I have to hand it to Phil at Firearms solutions for such a fine job! Cant wait to get it back and put all of it back together ! These are photos taken by Phil before he packs it up for its return home.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I had a Tabuk "Sniper" on my first contract in Iraq. It was almost new and for a 7.62X39 it was pretty accurate and felt good. Unlike a lot of the shorty Tabuk's it was reliable as well. I just could never really think of it as a "sniper" rifle though. Good luck with your project.

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks . I am not expecting any phenominal accuracy out of it at all. So I am shure to not be disapointed. It is although a darn good copy of a rifle that will never see production again. I have alot of people to thank for help. A guy on another board welded up the front sight base to eliminate the night sights , and also made a accurate copy of the original scope mount . I had to buy a spot welder and lower tong to spot weld the sight rail on .Angela's engraving has done a real nice job engraving the iraqi markings.

·
Registered
662 Posts
That engraving is great, who did it and how can I get a hold of them? Thanks, Phil

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Be pretty tough to get original parts for it. Postal inspection and custom searches are VERY thorough. NOTHING firearms related can go out and it is all X-Rayed after it's inspected. Knuckleheads still try to sneak stuff out and knuckleheads still get caught. In the First Gulf War I never saw a Tabuk. In the second go around I was working near an area full of Republican Guard warehouses-there were boxes of Tabuk AK receivers still in the grease. Whoever etched in your Iraqi markings did a very good job from what I can see.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Be pretty tough to get original parts for it. Postal inspection and custom searches are VERY thorough. NOTHING firearms related can go out and it is all X-Rayed after it's inspected. Knuckleheads still try to sneak stuff out and knuckleheads still get caught. In the First Gulf War I never saw a Tabuk. In the second go around I was working near an area full of Republican Guard warehouses-there were boxes of Tabuk AK receivers still in the grease. Whoever etched in your Iraqi markings did a very good job from what I can see.
Just wait, 10 years down the road(if we still have guns) these will be imported.

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The barrel is a USA made barrel just for the tabuk build .They were made up for this project on another AK web site. There were only 150 made I beleive. The engraving was done by Angela Rock . Angela's engraving . She has a web site .Nodak spud made up the copy of the Iraqi flash hider.Last I looked they still had them . The gas block is yugo.It was sripped of the launcher site and gas shut off ,welded closed and machined back out . the front sight base was also yugo ,stripped of night site and holes welded up and re machined too.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
If you know anyone over there, they can get the wood back for you. I have seen one of these before(it was an illegally imported rifle).

·
Silver Bullet member
28,324 Posts
Have to insert a smart-assed and useless comment here.

Gee, why don't you get some Blackwater guys to bring you back parts? They seem to be operating above the law already.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
The one I saw was brought back by a vet that I cant say who what when where why. But he also had a tabuk carbine but the reciever was buggered up and he threw it away. The tabuk rifle was in good condition with the cheekpiece.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
"Have to insert a smart-assed and useless comment here."

Well, at least you know that it WAS a smart assed useless comment.

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Actualy a blackwater guy would be good to know ,because they can bring things home because they are not covered by military law. No rifles though ,but parts,mags and other trinkets have been brought back .I have a mag and a bayonet brought back by a friend who was an outside contractor.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
I need the stock off an Al Kadesih, because I will end up building one, I will have a gun manufacturor mill the reciever out for me.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
"Actualy a blackwater guy would be good to know ,because they can bring things home because they are not covered by military law."

You are wrong. As one who has spent 3 1/2 years in Iraq I am EXTREMELY familiar with this subject. Anything that has been brought back (i.e weapons parts) has been brought back illegally. Contractors (yes, even BW) fall under the same rules. The US Post Office lets nothing (other than bayonets) be mailed out. Contractors (yes, even BW) flying out through the BIAP are subject to extremely thorough searches. Not only are weapons parts not allowed to be brought out, one can literally not even pack a finger nail clipper in checked baggage leaving Iraq (yes, even BW).

You guys have been taking too much of what the press prints at face value.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Very nice. That is a awesome build that would be the crown jewel to any collection!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts