Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Silver Bullet member
8,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The crest has a bit of pitting but its all matching and not so common to find..all matching numbers with good bore

Was listed as Yugoslav crested and the crest was pictured 21st from the top so most I believe never got that far as it isnt anything special other than that

Fed Ord import mark so it was likely brought in to be converted to the "great Seal" Mausers they produced..Sold off when they went out of buisness?

Think I posted about it with auction pics but here are some of mine

Linens Wood
Gun Rifle Air gun Trigger Shotgun
Material property Wood Shotgun
Wood Wood stain Hardwood Table Plywood
Shotgun Air gun
Material property Wood Metal
Wood
Material property

·
Diamond Member with Oak Leaves and Swords
3,472 Posts
The crest has a bit of pitting but its all matching and not so common to find..all matching numbers with good bore

Was listed as Yugoslav crested and the crest was pictured 21st from the top so most I believe never got that far as it isnt anything special other than that

Fed Ord import mark so it was likely brought in to be converted to the "great Seal" Mausers they produced..Sold off when they went out of buisness?

Think I posted about it with auction pics but here are some of mine

View attachment 796590 View attachment 796591 View attachment 796592 View attachment 796593 View attachment 796594 View attachment 796595 View attachment 796596 View attachment 796597 View attachment 796598

Hi John.
Fed Ord advertised these for sale in the fall of 1989, well before they went out of business. I have seen only a few, but none with Fed Ord's pseudo-crest. They advertised these widely, but mostly in their tabloid newspaper. I am attaching a few pictures of their October 10, 1989 mailing. Except for the Colombian Mauser, the rest are presumed to have been captured by Israel during their early 80's war.
Regards,
John

Attachments

·
Registered
205 Posts
By "great seal" Mauser do you mean with the U.S. seal on the receiver ring? I've got one of them, and a strange duck it is! It's in .308 Win. and as far as I could tell it is mostly Spanish M-43, at least the stock is, but probably contains parts of other '98-type Mausers as well. I mounted a scout-type scope on it and shot it several times with passable results. I miss Fed Ord and all their affordable toys....

·
Platinum Bullet Member and Certified Curmudgeon
15,533 Posts
Hi John,

Congrats on a rare find. I have only a Syrian one and am still looking for an Iraqi. I do have one of Fed Ord's Israeli captures, a jeem marked early VZ24.

Regards,
Bill

Attachments

·
Silver Bullet member
8,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Outstanding. Definitely one for the "must have" list. Curious - will you shoot it?
I would..but for the many others ahead of it : )

I dont try and shoot all of them..heres my M48 Shooter a mismatch stocked I picked up just for that reason

Gun Shotgun Air gun
Material property Cylinder Ammunition Metal
Snowman

Those are dessert plates at aprox 100yds with Yugo 50's..the orange dot is thumbnail size..in a rest with Yugoslav 70's or better it will make bugholes..Age/eyes

·
Silver Bullet member
8,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi John.
Fed Ord advertised these for sale in the fall of 1989, well before they went out of business. I have seen only a few, but none with Fed Ord's pseudo-crest. They advertised thesae widely, but mostly in their tabloid newspaper. I am attaching a few pictures of their October 10, 1989 mailing. Except for the Colombian Mauser, the rest are presumed to have been captured by Israel during their early 80's war.
Regards,
John

Thank you for the info John...I had a lapse in collecting from late 80's to mid 90's due to young wife, babies, lack of funds : )...Missed some good times!

Rifle went for $300 on GB mis-identified as Serbian crested.. http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=421394184 with bayonet.. Crest was not shown till pic #30..think thats why it went so low

·
Registered
304 Posts
Fed Ord didn't make any American Eagle crest rifles out of anything that they could sell otherwise. They were made up of parts from rifles that were either incomplete or in too bad a shape to sell. Most receivers were from Columbian FN 24/30s according to Manny at Fed Ord. M48s are short action with the enclosed case head feature, which are different enough from standard M98s that they probably wouldn't have bothered with them even if they had a junk one.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
7,503 Posts
Never seen or heard of that variant. Nice find.

·
Silver Bullet member
8,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Great score John !

Must have been a bit tempting to hit the BIN on that one !

Chris

I was tempted but with the description being wrong and the first 20+ pictures showing a pretty plain Jane M48 series I let it ride...took a quick peek at the other bidders history ; )

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Found one today in a collection for sale. Crest + Jeem. Scrubbed bolt unfortunately but nice rifle overall. They also had a Matching # Syrian in rough stock but already have a better Syrian.

Came with a 1989 dated Fed Ord hang tag and test fire case..

Will do a post with pics later.

·
Silver Bullet member
2,069 Posts
Congratulations, assuming you bought it. If you decide not to, please let the rest of us in on it.:thumbsup:

·
Platinum Bullet Member and Certified Curmudgeon
15,533 Posts
Congratulations, assuming you bought it. If you decide not to, please let the rest of us in on it.:thumbsup:
Yes, tell me if you decide not to buy it - and I'll tell PRIMO1 if I "decide not to buy it". ;)

·
Registered
157 Posts
Am I wrong in thinking that the top hand guard on M48s looks like walnut? Almost every hand guard Ive seen on the M48 look like higher quality wood types than the stock. The M48 stocks are mostly elm.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Still raining so here are some indoor pics. Rifle did come with a nice Israeli 98k sling but prob put on by buyer. Overall nice rifle in better shape than the avg Syrian bore is excellent, no sight hood or cleaning rod. Only real bummer is the bolt having the most likely non matching # ground off.

Fed Ord Tag. ( Matches add above, GU 0909 price is $169.90 on tag ) Green writing is buyers notes, Paid $185 for it shipped in 1989 , that was about the time I started collecting and that was a lot of $ for a Mauser. Plastic bag had test fired case in it.

If anyone is interested in the Syrian it wasn't a real bad one but the handguard wasn't great and the price was a bit high imop $340. PM me and I will give you the shops # they do a lot of internet. The collection also had a ok typical patina'd matching Port 937-A, A nice BB Obend 42 1938 98k with MM bolt and a Nice Standard Model 98 w/mm bolt don't see those that often.

·
Diamond Member with Oak Leaves and Swords
3,472 Posts
Hi LD,
The Fed Ord "pseudo-crest" is their newly-designed crest with the "American Eagle" that they stamped on the Mausers they assembled in CA in the 1980's and sold as new Fed Ord weapons. It's the same crest/rifle referred to by Cheap_shot in post # 10 of this thread.
John

1 - 20 of 20 Posts