Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I am currently doing research and a project on Iraqi AK's, primarily the Soviet supplied AKM's. Over the years, I have seen maybe one or two vet bring back AK stocks with the Iraqi rack number painted on them. I am hoping someone here might have one, or know someone that does. If you aren't comfortable sharing it publically, please feel free to PM me. I have quite a bit of hands-on experience with them in museum settings, but that is always a limited venue in terms of really examining them up close and personaI. have a few questions about the texture and paint type used and would love to talk to someone that has one.

Pics for reference of what I'm referring to:

Air gun Revolver Trigger Wood Shotgun

Air gun Gesture Trigger Outdoor recreation Cap

Motor vehicle Ash Charcoal Pollution Wood

Air gun Automotive exterior Shotgun Trigger Gun barrel

·
Registered
29 Posts
From the pictures it seems they're similar to the laminated russian buttocks with a red shellac coating. From my knowledge the AKs supplied to the Iraqis was from a number of black market and soviet era sources that being Hungary, Yugoslavia, Romania, Russia, China then the home built Tabuks. Most coming from either Russia and Yugoslavia before the home built Tabuks showed up. The Russian ones would've started showing up in the 60s after the revolution with the SKS rifles. Yugoslavia was contracted at first to produce the early Tabuks for a while. Once the Iraq war started in '03 the quality went down drastically for the Tabuks and they was grabbing whatever they can.

Thinking about it there was one guy that was making reproduction Tabuks here stateside. I believe it was Two Rivers Arms. Wouldn't hurt to give him a holler to see what they know. Hopefully this bit of info helps.

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
Don’t forget the Hungarian AK63F…Iraq was the first major customer for these rifles back in the late 80’s from what I understand. Here’s the butt stock from a kit I just got from Atlantic:
Wood Hardwood Wood stain Plywood Tool

I believe these were just oiled, not shellacked.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts