Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seven rubberized packs of this stuff and recently decided to open one that I believed was compromised. Oh boy was it ever. I didn’t locate the puncture but if I had to guess I’d say the pack was at the bottom of the Dead Sea when it happened.
Any danger in attempting to fire the rounds which aren’t covered tip to tail in their own ecosystem of scuzz?

·
Registered
7,773 Posts
Most guys love to buy ”sealed” packs or cans...I prefer many times, if there is any doubt possible, to SEE the ammo I’m getting.

You might tumble the ugly rounds in sand for a bit...the “Paragon Sales” treatmen!

·
Registered
792 Posts
Yep, I have cleaned rounds in my vibrating tumbler with no problems. I was a wee bit nervous about it at first but I left the room and closed the door while it cleaned!

·
Registered
587 Posts
If it was Iranian, I kinda doubt it was in the Dead Sea. The Izzy's would have got to them WAY before they got to the Dead Sea. Now, maybe it was down in the Tigris River. That could be.

I have some Turk 8mm with 1920's headstamps that just HAD to be sand tumbled. It still has the sand in the box.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Most guys love to buy ”sealed” packs or cans...I prefer many times, if there is any doubt possible, to SEE the ammo I’m getting.

You might tumble the ugly rounds in sand for a bit...the “Paragon Sales” treatmen!
Lesson learned. I opened the second pack of my two recently acquired from a private sale and discovered a similar situation. I’d thought that pack was sealed for certain. The other five packs are in a crate I purchased from AIM aback when they sold it as “Bosnian”. I’m confident in the condition of those as they “clink” when handled or shaken. These now-open ones made sounds you’d expect from crusty ammo when I did the same.

·
Silver Bullet member
50,415 Posts
clean, magnifying glass check for splits in necks.. ware glass's for sure!
Ive shot 1913 45 a.c.p 250 rounds all fired but three.. one of the three fired second strike out of Gold cup.70. was still accurate
ALL SOUNDED THE SAME!
now a days that's not consistent in modern stuff at times> in 223-22cal, 9mm...I've witnessed others shooting my stash is a few years older. .
put into good storage conditions..

Reactions: Shadow64

·
Silver Bullet member
50,415 Posts
tannic acid from woods!

Reactions: Shadow64

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Where ever it comes from this is definitely the worst brass corrosion I’ve ever seen. Especially considering the ammo is from 1995
Edit - I should note the worst cartridges were in the middle of their respective boxes, not touching the cardboard

·
Copper Bullet member
9,294 Posts
A good amount of Iranian ammo was found and confiscated in Bosnia, and the Israelis have captured smaller quantities in Gaza and a few boats headed for Hamas in Gaza. And that's not counting what US troops have captured in both Iraq and Afghanistan.
I wish we got more on the commercial market. I would assume it's corrosive, but I always found it reliable and pretty accurate.

·
Registered
7,773 Posts
I bet the cases were not washed/cleaned properly of some substance used in the drawing of the ctg cases.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Personally, I would pull the bullet on that one with the blue corrosion on the bullet, and maybe a couple of others, just to check on the condition of the powder.
The one with the blue is suspicious looking enough to check out. Good luck and please let us know what you find.

·
Registered
281 Posts
If it was Iranian, I kinda doubt it was in the Dead Sea. The Izzy's would have got to them WAY before they got to the Dead Sea. Now, maybe it was down in the Tigris River. That could be.

I have some Turk 8mm with 1920's headstamps that just HAD to be sand tumbled. It still has the sand in the box.
The only things I ever saw come out of the Tigress were headless corpses wrapped in rugs........

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Here’s that real ugly one pulled down. Powder looks ok, brass is shiny and clean inside.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I cleaned up the case and put it in an SKS. Primer was good. Might as well double check that it’s non-corrosive while I’m at it (on a steel bracket, the SKS got cleaned).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts