Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Morning All,

Been lurking on a number of boards for some time. Joined a few and now here as I read in and try to learn. Relative noob to collecting but a lifelong student of history (my degree area). Milsurps bring that to life in a way books can't. Currently am custodian of a few pieces;

Correct 52 JLG Garand rearsenaled in '64

Matching '48 Enfield No.4mk.1

Matching (but for extractor) BYF '43 Mauser

2 Finn matching '41 Sako M39s

Tikka M28 in spliced Sako gear stamped 28/30 stock.

BS M24 in spliced stock.

Just purchased pending delivery-'34 Sako 28/30 previously owned by a long time member here (stumbled on a post on another site from several years ago).

With a Scandinavian background (Norway) and given the unique history, I find myself drawn to the Finns.

So here I is... to pick brains and share the fun and challenge of the hunt (and put a few holes in things).

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have to chuckle a bit because out of expediemcy initially, and because they work ontil I expand the wall racking, they are guitar standa I have for some instrumemts. I used them originally to take outdoor shots to keep the rifles off stuff and present them vertically.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The bayonets.....

OK, here is where I may get slapped around as a noob 😄. My understanding is that any of the 28-35 models could be appropriate as they and the actual lugs on the guns were designed to be universal and COULD have been issued or scrounged for an SA issued M39 (but more likely "lost" in a snow bank in preference for a pukko). The M28 I have has a CG marked 28 bayonet. The M39s have an M28 and M29 bayonet on them that I tried to match to rifle condition. Cool to have at least one 39 bayonet, but finding and rationalizing the cost for something the CG troops typically didn't even use.....well, the rifles are not SKY anyways.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Due to work and our in-home care for my 91 year old MIL, I can't easily run around town or make shows so all purchases to date have been made off the net from various sites after research homework and questions.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The Mauser bayo is a '43 fze to match the byf '43 model and the sling is also 43 stamped. The Heer M42 in the last pic is vetted and dated '43. The M1 is a CMP "Greek return" that maintained it's issue park and not "Greek park". I'll eventually seek out a late WWII G.I. piece that would be appropriate for the Korean era. The '48 Enfield has a '53 no. 9 blade style that is Fazakerley marked to match the rifle and would be appropriate for post war over a spike.

Don't get me started on slings for the Finns....😆

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Note:
The wall rack itself is kind of a neat piece as it was stacked in the basement when I bought the place 30 years ago. The house is a 150 year old farm house I've rehabed over the years. It's a home-built rack by the last person who actually farmed there and based on the pull and hinge hardware, likely dates to the '50s or '60s.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Oh...and then there's this one. 1863 Springfield (repro sling) I picked up in an antique store in Maine several years ago when the wife and I could still get out and about for our pilgrimages to the state. Used to live/work there in the 80s.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts