Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been hunting for an unmodified Ag m/42 for more than 25 years but have never found one for sale. I’ve held the two examples at Springfield Armory collection and a low serial numbered trials rifle held in a private collection in the US. This is the 4th example that I am aware of in the United States.

Attachments

·
Registered
603 Posts
I’ve been hunting for an unmodified Ag m/42 for more than 25 years but have never found one for sale. I’ve held the two examples at Springfield Armory collection and a low serial numbered trials rifle held in a private collection in the US. This is the 4th example that I am aware of in the United States.
Is the rear sight in calibration for round nosed bullets? Just curious. Nice score!!! PM sent.

James

·
Administrator
19,289 Posts
What makes it different?

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
The rear sight on this one is calibrated for the round nosed bullet.

According to Janson's article on the Ag 42, the Ag42 was modified to Ag 42 B by:

1) changing the gas tube to a stainless steel to prevent rusting
2) the magazine design had a hook added at the front to prevent the magazine from being released by accident
3) the recoil spring was changed to a double wire construction
4) the bolt carrier cover was modified by adding a round button to each side and a rubber brass deflector was added to the right side to reduce the damage on fired brass (the original bolt carrier looks much more like an Egyptian Hakim with the serrations and heavy wire side extensions)
5) the trigger mechanism was modified
6) the extractor was redesigned
7) the original tube cleaning rod was found to be very weak and was changed to the standard m38 cleaning rod
8) the modified rifle is stamped B on the receiver near the serial number

I've also noticed that the Ag 42's did not have a bore condition disc inletted into the stock, the magazine release much smaller than the Ag42B.

http://gotavapen.se/gota/artiklar/ag42/ag42eng.htm

·
Premium Member
105,717 Posts
That's what I was going to ask. What's different?

·
Silver Bullet Member
201 Posts
Thanks for sharing with us your great find along with the side by side comparison pictures to explain the later modifications. There's nothing like having an ultra rare collector piece in a condition that's virtually impossible to upgrade.

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
So I'm thinking that the Swedes sold tooling for the earlier model to the Egyptians.
yes, all the tooling was sold to Egypt and 8mm Hakim was made on Swedish equipment. One thing that Egyptians did right is to add an adjustable gas control valve onto theirs. There was no need for the winter bumps (boobies) so receiver cocking/action grooves stayed in the same configuration as original Ljungman. Rasheed is another interesting rifle to consider, if trying to get a 'set': Ljungman-Hakim-Rasheed

·
Registered
128 Posts
If you don't mind me asking,how much did it cost you?

I understand these are difficult to own in Sweden these days,however many hundreds were sold in New Zealand during the 1980's for very little.This was because the Ammunition was hugely expensive if you could find it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.