Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

Just discovered this site yesterday and have already spent way too much time exploring. (Just ask The Missus.)

Attached are pix of my 1899 Oberndorf Swede. I've had this rifle since 1996 and have fired it. It is certainly the classiest rifle in my meager collection - an absolute dream in form and function. All numbers match.

Anything you can tell me about this rifle will be much appreciated. I'll never part with it but I'd also like to know the approximate current value.

Thanks for a great site.

·
Premium Member
1,605 Posts
Welcome to the site, K9, and to many more hours of discovery! :)

Your 1899 is nice but has a replacement stock. The Swedes did not start using beech wood until after the first world war. The original stock was European walnut and had a differently angled butt plate. I would say it could sell for around $300. The metal and wood are in excellent shape but the threaded muzzle (for the blank firing adapter) and replacement stock are a minus for some. The range plate is also missing. You should try and get a replacement. Let us know how she shoots. Dan :)

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Yes, Welcome K9,
Seeing you got your rifle in 1996 you should get a range plate ASAP. Before it cost as much as your rifle did! The last one I seen on E-bay went for $90.00. But if you keep looking around you can get one for about half that price.
And don't feel bad about the replacement stock. I am only half the age of your rifle and I have a few replacement parts myself. :D:D:D

·
Platinum Bullet member
3,462 Posts
K9 here is a photo of a M/96 range plate. They were installed "upside down" on the right side of the rifle stock, so they could be easily read while shouldering the rifle.

·
Moderator/Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet member
9,683 Posts
Just so you do not get the wrong range plate , read the top of the plate first ( M-96 ) . There are differant range plates for the M-94 & M-38 rifles , but they look similar .

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tell your wife you've developed some virus that requires you spend some time sitting and resting so you might as well cruise the net for a few days:

http://dutchman.rebooty.com/

Welcome to the forum.

Dutchman
Thanks.

I dunno. I've tried the "bad back" thing but not the virus ploy. Did you ever meet a woman who could stand watching a man "DO NOTHING"? Not only is she "SWMBO" but she's a LICENSED CLINICAL THERAPIST.

We stay together because of the dogs. :cool:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.