Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Field Editor ~ GUNS Magazine, Co-Author ~ Serbian Army Weapons of Victory &PH - Kudu Safaris
11,754 Posts
Thanks for posting this Mike.

Interesting presentation. I would take issue with the choice of the howitzer??? I would have simply listed rapid firing breach loading artillery. I would also have added HE to the list as well.

Still, it's a thought provoking presentation.

Warmest regards,

John

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
The part on German prisoners from Tsingtao in Japan introducing baumküchen is great, but could be reinforced by observing that the Asahi brewery was built by German WWI prisoners along with the Rheinheitsgebot beer making. It would reinforce the article I'd think. The oldest Japanese bier brewery is Sapporo 1876 in Hokkaido, but the connection between Tsingtao and Asahi was the Japanese over-running the place in WWI.

Steel helmets, grenades, aeroplanes, etc. Is camouflage on there too?

·
Super Moderator
Field Editor ~ GUNS Magazine, Co-Author ~ Serbian Army Weapons of Victory &PH - Kudu Safaris
11,754 Posts
Hello Dave,

An interesting sidelight regarding the only land battle of WWI that took place in the Far East was the Japanese siege of the base of the German Pacific Fleet stationed at Tsingtao. having worked on and off in China for the past 24 years, I have toured the remnants of the German outer defenses that were intended to protect the fleet stationed in the harbor. Surprisingly enough, there are a number of surviving defensive works along with a museum that more or less recounts the major points of the struggle between the Japanese and the Germans.

Of course the presentation is heavily influenced by the Chinese perspective of the battle and it's consequences. No surprise there considering that every countries version of History is colored by the politics years and then decades after the conflict.

Warmest regards,

JPS

·
Administrator
9,612 Posts
Many years ago, before Foxtel Satellite TV, I saw on the Local PBS TV (SBS Australia) a Japanese Film about the first Aircraft in Japan being used to reconnoitre and bomb the defences at Tsing-Tao (as it was then). Black and white, quite old ( don't know if pre or post WW II) but the primitive aircraft were spot on.
Japan in 1912-1914 had acquired both British and French single and two seaters, for development of their own "Air Force "--By the IJA). Japan, as a Western Ally in WW I, had numerous observer Officers in France, for the whole war, and the IJN supplied convoy protection and merchant ships for the Australia-Europe Run. Their only IJ Army contribution to WW I was the occupation of German Possessions above the equator (China, the Carolinas and the Marianas) The Australians pre-empted any Japanese advance into the Southern Pacific by occupying German New Guinea, whilst the New Zealanders occupied German Samoa and a couple of other Islands. ( American Samoa was Neutral)...of course, the Russian Revolution saw Japanese troops occupying the eastern end of the Trans-Siberian Railway, to protect Allied Supply dumps, but this can be considered not to be part of the WW I effort against Germany.

Doc AV

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
Somewhere in my books is a book in Japanese and English about a friend of my grandmother who helped introduce aviation to Japan, I had forgotten about it until DocAV mentioned the airplanes at Tsingtao, I will have to make a search of the archives and take a look. I remember my grandmother telling me how you could pinch the aircraft, and the fabric would retain the wrinkle where it had been pinched.

·
Registered
917 Posts
The Imperial German cemetery at Tsingtao was apparently well maintained until the Cultural Revolution, when it was deliberately vandalized by Red Guards.

-Devo

1 - 8 of 8 Posts