Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
11,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw an interesting one in a shop. Kokura Type 99, don't recall the series.

The rifle retains the AA wings, no pod, no rod, no DC. Rifle serial is xx764, matching bayo lug but bolt parts are 714. Mum is pristine.

What's interesting is that there is a bit of damage to the stock that is, without doubt, where the stock was hit with a bullet. It has the right shape for a bullet strike that grazed the forearm on the left bottom under the rear sight. Done a long time ago as noted by the aging of the exposed stock wood. Plus a bit of cracked wood forward of the struck area, as one might expect with the force of a round hitting it.

Forward part of the handguard looks to have been partially shattered. Someone glued it back together though there is a sliver missing on the left side edge of th handguard.

What's a market value for one like this? Shop wants $350 for it (though they don't really know much about milsurps).

·
Silver Bullet member
15,766 Posts
Battle damage adds value only to a few very special collectors, other wise it detracts.

Sounds like about a $150 rifle to me, unless as CW says, it is special.

·
Silver Bullet member
15,766 Posts
Dogs, you are one of the very special collectors, Ronin and I are too. There are a couple more out there.

·
Silver Bullet member
2,412 Posts
Dogs, you are one of the very special collectors, Ronin and I are too. There are a couple more out there.
Dare I venture a guess as to what sort of "special" you are refering to? ;)

I think most collectors dig the damaged pieces, but who wants to pay a premium for one? It will just encourage some dickus to burn and shoot up japanese rifles (hell he may even use proper headstamped US ammo) to turn a quick buck on the less experienced and deer in the headlight types with some strange fantasy story

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,391 Posts
Dare I venture a guess as to what sort of "special" you are refering to? ;)

I think most collectors dig the damaged pieces, but who wants to pay a premium for one? It will just encourage some dickus to burn and shoot up japanese rifles (hell he may even use proper headstamped US ammo) to turn a quick buck on the less experienced and deer in the headlight types with some strange fantasy story
Probably "special" as in nuts! ;)
Anyone can shoot, burn or mutilate a rifle at anytime, that's why I mentioned the historical connection. My only battle damaged example is my Guam pickup 31st series.

·
Gold Bullet member
11,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The shop hasn't mentioned anything about the damage, almost as though they hope nobody will notice. They would surely play this up if there was a thought of making this a value-add feature. The gouged channel has aging that seems right. The shattered handguard adds to my suspicion that this rifle really did see some violent action. Add the untouched mum and the likelihood of an island-captured weapon seems to match up.

The trouble is this shop prices things with no real knowledge. The local expert makes a guess and that's what it gets listed at.

·
Silver Bullet member
15,766 Posts
"shoot one up for you"; sounds illegal to me.:D

·
Gold Bullet member
11,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, someone thought it was worth something, as it's gone now. I think it went for closer to $250.

·
Gold Bullet member
11,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
There were some other issues, but I still think it was a combat capture rifle. The front sight base appeared to have been brazed back on at some point. The mag floorplate had an odd impression in it, as though struck by something, which may fit in with the likely battle damage it received. The bullet hit was unmistakeable, though.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.