Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
3,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am on the road again and shot some quick pics to post before I left.

Have had this specimen for about 20 years. It is a completely matched RM marked and surcharged 98M based on a rebuild of a Gew.98 Mauser Oberndorf 1914. This one has all the bells and whistles including beautiful RM marked stock, Anchor/M barrel, Nord Sea marked bolt dis-assembly disk and muzzle cover, and best of all a RM marked sling.

Enjoy!

Scott

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
The word "extraordinary" is getting so cliché when you display another example from your collection Scott!

One truly can base a book around your Imperial & Weimar era collection.. this rifle does seem to be a first for this barrel acceptance on an unquestionably authentic rifle and directly supports that sportered 98a barrel as authentic as well?

I spent considerable time going through my library and paper files hunting for something relevant, but this is the first time I have seen this mark on the barrel on an "original" rifle.

Of course the rifle itself is something special and very elusive in this condition (to say the least), but most important is the display you have done! More examples need to be examined in such detail!

So very little is written on Imperial KM rifles, even less on Reichswehr era RM rifles- hell whether Reichsheer or RM rifles there is a void 10x as wide as Imperial era research!

So is your take on this M anchor as an f/p? I assume so unless there is a f/p elsewhere? (as Imperial arms with it below the wood?), can you do one of the rearsight or say whether its sS marked or is it earlier? Clearly the RM would have a decent chance to have a really early r/s still?

Since Joe Steen gave me a history lesson on the sS upgrades I have been seeking out the pre-sS marked tangent sights..

·
Banned
3,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The word "extraordinary" is getting so cliché when you display another example from your collection Scott!

One truly can base a book around your Imperial & Weimar era collection.. this rifle does seem to be a first for this barrel acceptance on an unquestionably authentic rifle and directly supports that sportered 98a barrel as authentic as well?

I spent considerable time going through my library and paper files hunting for something relevant, but this is the first time I have seen this mark on the barrel on an "original" rifle.

Of course the rifle itself is something special and very elusive in this condition (to say the least), but most important is the display you have done! More examples need to be examined in such detail!

So very little is written on Imperial KM rifles, even less on Reichswehr era RM rifles- hell whether Reichsheer or RM rifles there is a void 10x as wide as Imperial era research!

So is your take on this M anchor as an f/p? I assume so unless there is a f/p elsewhere? (as Imperial arms with it below the wood?), can you do one of the rearsight or say whether its sS marked or is it earlier? Clearly the RM would have a decent chance to have a really early r/s still?

Since Joe Steen gave me a history lesson on the sS upgrades I have been seeking out the pre-sS marked tangent sights..
Paul,

Glad you like it and thanks for the compliments. The pics are just quickies w/o tripod and proper lighting, setup, etc. and rifles have not been cleaned or detailed. In any case - they do not compare to the pics for my SS reference.

The marking is indeed unique and I too have rarely seen it on a period "original" rifle. IMO - the subject marking does serve as a tfp. You and I share a fascination with the Imperial and Reichswehr period and it is disappointing that so little has been published on the subject. Perhaps that is for people like us to do.

I will post more followup pics that should help with your research. I will also post on another interesting rifle you should enjoy.

Scott

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
I can't imagine the difficulty of doing something worthwhile on the subject without your participation!

One day maybe your data and collection can get with my data and we can work something out! Hell we might even break even on project money wise in about 40 years?

This is a real gem Scott!

You and I share a fascination with the Imperial and Reichswehr period and it is disappointing that so little has been published on the subject. Perhaps that is for people like us to do.

·
Banned
3,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Paul,

Thanks! Yes - someday we should get togeather and compare notes on the subject. I think I would be able to get the elusive MW involved as well. He and I had a great session here last summer albeit not as long as we would have liked. As to this particular 98m it has and always will be a favorite of mine.

Scott

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
MW sure is elusive, - as are a few others!

Its hard to get the best in the hobby to contribute articles and a book would be harder I think!

The subject 1919-1932 would be very difficult even with the likes of MW,CB,JS,KH yourself, probably impossible to do well without.

I don't think I could pick out a favorite rifle in your collection!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.