Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked this up on ebay on a B-I-N. Hasn't arrived yet, but when it does, will make a scan and post w/o the red stamps if interested. I believe they are Sg 1865/71 Pioneer bayonets on, of course, Gew. 88s.

- Best Regards! Mike​
Attached Thumbnails

·
Administrator
12,071 Posts
Hm...how gently they hold their hands... Didn't they have "Don't ask, don't tell" policy then?

·
Super Moderator
Field Editor ~ GUNS Magazine, Co-Author ~ Serbian Army Weapons of Victory &PH - Kudu Safaris
11,755 Posts
Nice photo Mike!

Good find!!!......Have you posted this on the thread on the WWI Forum yet?.....That has to be a re-enactor on the left!!!!

Warmest regards,

JPS

·
8,105 Posts
Note the "wire loop" lower sling swivels added...and no dust covers for the clip ejection ports.
That is very interesting, especially since the slings are standard German slings with detachable sling swivels that would work properly with the standard, unmodified sling attachment point. As far as no dust covers, it is not too unusual depending on the time frame. It is a great photo Mike, thanks for showing us and looking forward to seeing it without the red stamps.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Note the "wire loop" lower sling swivels added...and no dust covers for the clip ejection ports.
I hate when I fixate so much on one aspect of a photo, I miss something else completely!

TP, don't those rear sling swivel loops look familiar?

As far as no dust covers, it is not too unusual depending on the time frame.
TP is right on the money. The covers were developed and introduced in December of 1914. This photo could be around that time frame before they were issued. Supposedly they were not popular with some troops, but I could never understand the reason why.

·
8,105 Posts
I hate when I fixate so much on one aspect of a photo, I miss something else completely!

TP, don't those rear sling swivel loops look familiar?
Hey George, yes they do. They are standard "D" rings used on all sorts of equipment - ammo pouches, horse harness, etc., etc. I have a photo saved on a floppy disc of a member of the Landwehr with a Gew88 and the same "D" ring but no sling on the rifle. And, of course, I no longer have a computer with a floppy ..... *sigh* :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts