Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Will be getting this rifle in trade. Any ideas on the shortened stock/handguard? I originally thought maybe a 91-30 stock but doesn't have retainers for the bands and is a bit longer than a 91-30 stock, but still obviously shorter than an M91/M24 stock (OAL stock length is 46 1/4"). Also seems to have a larger than normal buttplate, unless the stock is just too small? Not sure on receiver yet, Bohler-Stahl stepped barrel - not sure on date yet. Any ideas on the marking on the side of magazine body, looks kind of like a yin-yang, but I'm guessing there's no relation. Any other feedback would definitely be appreciated! I don't have the rifle in hand yet, but as soon as I do I can post more pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
Stock does look a bit short. Different rivets on the handguard. Must have took a little off the nose of the stock, and handguard to match the location of the front barrel band with the front of the handguard. I got this M24 as a barreled action, and had a stock around for it. Looks like the nose comes pretty close to the step. Closer than the one in the pic you showed anyways.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
(OAL stock length is 46 1/4")

Made sure to have him measure it before I posted.

What's the measurement from heel of the butt to the tip of the forearm?

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
More pics, looks like a Westinghouse receiver if I'm not mistaken.

Attachments

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Anyone out there have thoughts on the stock? Possible shortening for repair? Something else? I'm stumped.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
7,590 Posts
The front sling slot looks to be in the right place for an M-91 or Finn M24. So, is it a short stock with the sling slot put in the "right" place, or does the rifle have an extra long barrel. ;)

·
Diamond Member
7,765 Posts
The front sling slot looks to be in the right place for an M-91 or Finn M24. So, is it a short stock with the sling slot put in the "right" place, or does the rifle have an extra long barrel. ;)
The sling slots for a M91 are in the same location as a 91-30 when measured from the but end. I think this is a 91 stock that has been chopped down from the skinny end ,and the hand guard has been altered too. Here is a good comparison shot in the gun cabinet

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?352964-1941-SVT-40-(AVT-Navy-Refurb)

·
Registered
179 Posts
The sling slots for a M91 are in the same location as a 91-30 when measured from the but end. I think this is a 91 stock that has been chopped down from the skinny end ,and the hand guard has been altered too.

This rifle still lives with me and will soon be his. Here's a photo showing length next to my Finnish Stocked and Stamped "NEW" m91...

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Very interesting stuff. Lots of history in this one. I see a definite close relation in size of stock/handguard configuration on the M91-24 to the M91-30 stock (with the exception of the remaining correct parts of an M91-30 stock). The confusing part for me is the timeline, since the M91-24 came before the 91/30. It appears that the stock has the remnants of an S mark in the stock, so it would appear that this had use actually as a "converted" M91 to M91-24 stock originally. If it was cut down for use on an M91-30 at some point, it THEN somehow was rearsenaled back onto an M91-24? Could that also explain the larger buttplate? Hopefully my point makes sense, and its why I'm leaning more towards the idea that it was a repaired stock, rather than going from M91 stock to M91-24 to M91-30 to M91-24? Maybe I'm off base, but the whole thought of this thing's history is so intriguing and confusing. Really looking forward to getting this one in my hands! :)

·
Gold Bullet Member
9,164 Posts
Grasping at straws here, but I suppose one possibility is that the stock could have been cut down to adapt it to fit a Dragoon at some point, then during a refurb had the barrel channel enlarged for fitting to an M24? :confused:

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Indeed, I would certainly agree that the most likely possibility was that it was cut down for purposes of repair, but its interesting to think of what MIGHT have happened :).

Grasping at straws here, but I suppose one possibility is that the stock could have been cut down to adapt it to fit a Dragoon at some point, then during a refurb had the barrel channel enlarged for fitting to an M24? :confused:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.