Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why is this Japanese bayonet curved? Found in a cave on Peleliu. I've never seen anything like it! Any experts out there....

-Eric

·
Registered
477 Posts
Forget the bayonet, whats that MONSTER that is casting its shadow over it??!!?? :):)

·
Registered
490 Posts
Looks like a purposeful modification rather than damage to me?!?!

·
Silver Bullet member
297 Posts
Is it still in the scabbard? If it had gone through a fire, then cooled slowly, being run over like Edokko said would allow it to bend like that without breaking. If it's still in the scabbard, the blade could be in two or three pieces inside there and only the untempered scabbard showing the bend.

I wonder what effect a mortar round or grenade blowing up right beside a bayonet would have?

Steve

·
Registered
276 Posts
Perhaps it is a machete? A heavy curved blade would make sense for clearing brush. I can not make out the handle, is it a standard T-30 bayonet grip?

·
Gold Bullet member
6,110 Posts
Vis, good to see you back. How's it go in Anchorage ?
That does look like a T-30 bayonet that had curved something wildy. Notice the ball tip on the end, that should be the T-30 scabbard tip.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Definately a Japanese bayonet still in the scabbard! Bayonets are not uncommon finds on Peleliu but this speciman "grabbed" by attention because it is curved. Found at the mouth of a cave. Maybe the owner customized it?? Strange.

-Eric

·
Gold Bullet member
11,320 Posts
My crazy theory.... it was in close proximity to a large blast and was bent. I've seen pictures of rifles with similar curvature to the whole barrel.

Can the bayonet be pulled out of the scabbard?

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Very possible. It could have been inside and cooked for a while as the cave and ammo inside burned. It looks too perfect though?? Man, here I thought this was the rarest bayonet ever! Sorry about the bad pic. It's difficult to get good, clear shots in the Peleliu jungle due to dark condtions. I had to retake the shot of this print with my digital too.

LOL! Eric

·
Silver Bullet member
15,572 Posts
Josh,
what is your reference for 'Japanese simitar'?

By etymology a 'simitar' is a Turkish, Arabic, or middle eastern weapon.

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,007 Posts
Josh,
what is your reference for 'Japanese simitar'?
By etymology a 'simitar' is a Turkish, Arabic, or middle eastern weapon.
You're not going to UCSB this semester are you? Cripe, some of those kids scare me. What's next?

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Well Josh is right..if the japanese had had a scimitar or cutlass bayonet, thats what it would have looked like.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Hi Edokko! Winter is on its way to Anchorage, snow is about a third of the way down the mountains, and we will likely have some in town in another two weeks or so! I have not been posting much lately, no new treasures added to the collection recently. When I check the board it is usually in the wee hours and there is not much for me to add.

·
Gold Bullet member
6,110 Posts
Vis, it's really good to hear from 'ya !
Man, I could almost see the Ranges when I close my eyes. Are the Lights coming out anything spectacular yet ?

·
Registered
276 Posts
I think I have heard there has been some aurora activity, but I have not seen any myself yet. I just stepped out on the deck to check for you but it is very cloudy tonight! Back when I used to have a cabin up in Talkeetna, it was most impressive!

·
Gold Bullet member
6,110 Posts
Oh man, I need to go up your ways again ! Here's a few shots of a Lights show I saw at Tok last year.

P.S. : Eric, sorry for highjacking your thread...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts