Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked this up yesterday at a local show. Kind of an impulse buy.

I own more than a few K98k's but haven't had a chance to snag a Gewehr 98 conversion yet. It was priced around what Russian Captures are going for, so I figured what the hell.

It's in pretty good shape. Some minor bluing wear but in good shape. It looks better in person than the pictures. It was a 1917 Amberg that has the 1920 property stamp. Appears the original barrel was used and not replaced. The bore is in good shape. Mix of imperial and WW2 era parts. The front band looks like an old imperial band that was restamped and had the parade hook ground off.

The floorplate and some of the other small parts look like Gustloff replacement parts. The bolt does not match, but everything else is stamped matching, including the screws. The stock is in good shape besides being duffle cut behind the rear band. Somebody did a poor attempt at a repair but it's fixable. The bolt matches itself but I don't see any waffenampts or anything on it.

The handguard is matching. I couldn't find any markings on the stock. No waffenampts or anything. The band spring is matching. No SS markings or anything under the woodline. Sling is original. It's in good shape besides some minor splitting. Not sure who manufacturered it. Only markings I saw looked like "Jih 1940".

I've never really seen anything like this before but my best guess is that it was a Gewehr 98 conversion to K98k, then some sort of wartime rebuild? Let me know what you guys think. I added a link to most of the pictures below.

Attachments

·
Registered
172 Posts
Very nice rifle Dan. I saw this over on the 98k forum a couple of days ago. Definitely looks like a wartime rework. The stock is most interesting since it has no marks of any kind (if I remember right, there were no markings or numbers in the barrel channel or handguard either). Typically, the stock is where you pick up more information on the rework itself, such as why depot may have done the work and other proofs can often identify a rough timeframe of when the work was done. This stock looks like it has had no proofs in it at all at first glance. The middle band being numbered on both sides is interesting too. I say a good pick-up. I've owned several depot guns, and they are quite interesting in their own right.

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
I think more photos would be needed to say much about it. Fairly uncommon if the original barrel was cut down and reused. Most got a new ordnance spare barrel. The step location on your barrel just ahead of the upper band looks like that of the K98k rather than a Gew 98 barrel. Perhaps a new step machined if indeed the original barrel was reused. Photos of the firing proofs, or any other markings. might be helpful to those that know more about these. Cupped buttplate would date to at least late 1940-41 at earliest.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies guys! Here’s some pictures of the barrel under the stock. Appears to be the original imperial proofs.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
Is there a serial number in the stock barrel channel? A rifle that has gotten this much reworking should have gotten a numbered stock, at least originally. It may be possible that this rifle was reworked more than once. The added sight hood and cupped buttplate would point to around 1941 or later for a least one depot trip. If the stock is not numbered, hard to say how original it is. I've seen old gunshops back in the day selling duffle cut takeoff stocks from sportered K98k's. Not suggesting that's the case with yours, just a possibility with unnumbered stock, or lacking any depot stamps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.